Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Tried to feel around the gas pedal switch but I can't feel the kickdown switch. Looks like I will have to get under the car to know for sure.

It must be missing. It is mounted low on the firewall but you can see it looking over the fender. Here is a photo of a 52 I collected from somewhere. The white circle is showing the area where the kickdown switch would be.

Attach file:

jpg  (92.15 KB)
209_537c058fe6b02.jpg 900X675 px

Posted on: 2014/5/20 20:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hmmm...right where that group of cut wires is. Looks like I will need to find one. Are they expensive? I supposed I should actually check out the rest of the system first. Or maybe I'm getting way ahead of myself and should drive it first!

Went out tonight to do my almost daily test of "which lights still work and which don't". Pulled the headlight switch and tail lights still work. That's good. No headlights still. Stomped on my "restored" dimmer switch and viola! Headlights! Another stomp and boom, high beam works! Guess my switch gathered some internal corrosion from sitting around. More stomping and lights still work.

The high beam indicator/turn signal indicator is still not lighting on the dash. I do not see the flickering anymore so my theory about the bulb being put in the wrong hole seems to be wrong.

Of course, the BAT light decided to remain on while the car was running. I was pretty sure the generator was rebuilt because it has a sticker on it from an electrical company.

I'm having fun though!

Posted on: 2014/5/20 21:07
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I just realized the photo of the 52 I collected from "somewhere" was yours. My apologies and the reason I collected it was because it showed the OD relay nicely.

To get a real Packard kickdown sw from the vendors will set you back some plus it is exchange so they want a core. There is a repro switch available from FifthAvenuehttp://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/parts_counter_3.html which is functionally the same but is not quite the same look as Packards. That repro has a longer stem and shorter body but is less money at around $50.

The turn signals can be a bear to figure out why or what is happening because the resistance range to make it flash properly is so limited. All I can suggest is make sure the grounds are good and the bulbs are correct and wired or inserted correctly so the larger CP filament is the turn signal and small filament is the park/tail. One other thing is what type flasher are you using. If the original which I believe says Tung Sol on the can then no other ideas. If you have one of the modern 6v replacements which I think is a 535, then possibly the polarity is the issue. While the flashing is still controlled by the resistance in the circuit on those, the indicator light is controlled by a transistor in that can being triggered when the lights flash. Transistors are polarity sensitive and while I have not tried it for myself, there have been others reporting the flashers worked but no indicator light when using one of those 535s but indicator did start to work when a different original type flasher was installed. Of course, on either type if it accidentally got turned on with 12v connected then the flasher could be toast.

On the headlight indicator, it should be a bulb wired in parallel with the high beam filaments. I believe it is connected to the same terminal on dimmer sw as the wire going to headlights so gets power from there and ground on the inst cluster. It should be fairly easy to find the problem there.

Not sure if it will be of any help but here is a drawing I put together showing just the turn signal circuit.

Attach file:

jpg  (92.89 KB)
209_537c0f9ec2c38.jpg 1280X1060 px

Posted on: 2014/5/20 21:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks Howard,
When you posted that pic I thought you were making a joke! I think the alternative switch would be fine for my purposes. I'll go through the wiring for the turn signals again. The flasher came with the '51. I'll check on the number it has.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 8:03
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Order a Napa OD6284 kickdown switch. The shank is too long, but it doesn't make any difference. You will need two 5/8 fine thread jam nuts to mount it.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 12:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
$22.95, even better! Thanks Ross!

Posted on: 2014/5/21 13:01
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ross, thanks for the Napa number. That looks like the same FifthAvenue item at half the price. It might be worth putting into the xref as a possibility for both OD units. The real Packard item is roughly 4 times the amount plus a core charge. It is so out of sight probably only someone well versed in Packards would spot the difference on the R11 or would know about the two extra terminals that would be unused on the R9.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
my car had a switch mounted there but it was a workaround to bypass the carb starter switch - full throttle made the starter go. the hole in the bracket had been filed a bit to make this switch fit. Of course not a kickdown switch as this car has the Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 14:34
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hopefully the full throttle starter action doesn't happen often. If you are going to keep the switch in that location a safety relay in the circuit might be nice.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 14:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
No, that switch is gone. If I can get a key made for my ignition switch then I'll use the rebuilt carb switch, otherwise I'll substitute a normal starting key switch. That way if I get challenged at any stoplights I'll still be able to race; wouldn't want to lose that capability.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 20:41
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved