Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 243

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

rear bumper exhaust holes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kbradley77
See User information
I noticed that there is some kind of "ring shape" on the lower sides of my rear bumper on my 55 packard 400. I think that they are where exhaust pipes came out, but I'm not sure. I's that true? My bumper seems to be missing one, are they attached to the bumper itself or are they inserted?

Attach file:

jpg  (56.91 KB)
74341_544ddcd2d8c74.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (49.70 KB)
74341_544ddce4f355f.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2014/10/27 0:49
 Top  Print   

Re: rear bumper exhaust holes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The one that is there is what is left of the extension tube. It is there for the exhaust pipe to go into. It is to prevent any fluids. water condensation from dripping out onto the bumpers end and causing themto corrode. They are easy to come by.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 6:37
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kbradley77
See User information
In order for the rear bumper exhaust extenders to function properly, does it need to have the "ring" in the middle or what? what is a good price to pay for them on average?

Posted on: 2014/10/27 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not really needed to function properly although there might be some aerodynamics between the two openings that would help exhaust flow. Its purpose was somewhat decorative by having a smaller aesthetic ring within a ring instead of just having a large hole and functional to try and minimize the condensation dripping out of the tailpipe onto the chrome. That might be the aerodynamic part speeding the drops out and away when in motion. Doesn't do much when car is sitting and idling though.

While neither is exactly a stock look, others have lowered the condensation issue by extending the tail pipe slightly out past the chrome via a chrome tail pipe extension centered within the ring -- essentially making a third ring. Others have done it by cutting the exhaust pipe just short of the bumper openings and curving them down slightly so drips exit below and before the opening..

Posted on: 2014/10/28 9:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kbradley77
See User information
Thank you Howard. I just learned that the "inside" ring is a separate piece from the bumper guard. Is that specific piece a commonly available? From what I've noticed, it might just be easier to get the overall piece. True?

Posted on: 2014/10/29 14:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if they are available. You might try Kanter or Max and see if either has any part 465419. It is listed in group 2.015 and called a trim assy -- rear exhaust.

If no Packard items are found wonder what the chances are an exhaust shop could make something out of stainless pipe. Don't know if a mandrel machine could make the flare but other than making that they don't look too complicated. Might even be something already made as chrome exhaust tips that could be made to work.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 14:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Call Gerry or shoot him an email gerry@packardssouthwest.net
He has dozens of the rear exhausts on the cheap.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 16:46
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved