Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 234

Out Islander, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electric Wiper Motor Conversions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lyle Darnell
See User information
My vac. Wiper motor on my 1949 - 2362 is shot. I would like to go back with a 6 volt replacement. Anybody out there got the solution?
Thanks a bunch,
Boodog

Posted on: 2015/2/22 17:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Electric Wiper Motor Conversions
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
just looked at Chevs of the 40's, as the GM wiper setups were very similar to Packard. The replacement motors I found there were all 12 volt, and all around $220. Fiken can rebuild your vacuum motor for about $140 or so. Yes, the motor speed does vary a bit with engine speed, but it is an easier and less expensive fix. The wiper motor on the 49 is easy to find - I've got at least one or two in the parts bin.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 17:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To the best of my knowledge no one makes a 6v motor. Newport Engineeringhttp://www.newportwipers.com/year.php?make_id=20 sells a 12v motor and kit that will fit your application (49 22nd series and 49 23rd series need different drives) but it will also need a 6 to 12v inverter to make it work. While they still show the inverter on the new products page it no longer appears on their accessories or options page for ordering. You will have to verify it is still available. You need theirs or one like it because it takes a special inverter unit to handle motor current and surges. The typical inverter easily available at most parts stores for running a stereo usually doesn't last long when powering a motor.

You might also consider getting your vacuum unit rebuilt. Ficken Wiper servicehttp://www.wiperman.com will rebuild yours to as good as new condition for about one third to one half the price a conversion kit and inverter would cost. If you have decent vacuum and a functional booster section on fuel pump you might be surprised at how well they operate.

One other problem with a conversion is the switch assy. If your switch in the top of dash then not too big an issue but I believe your car has the knob on side of steering column that operates a bowden cable to control the motor valve. Any conversion will have an electric switch and that switch and wiring will be a tough fit inside the location on steering column. You will have to figure out some place and means of mounting the new switch.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 17:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lyle Darnell
See User information
I think I will go ahead with the electric conversion. My fuel pump is not functioning. I have already replaced it with a rear mount electric. Not going for a "points" car, just a sharp looker. Yogi's has a New Port inverter that handles up to 7 amps, and a motor that draws a max of 3 amps. I'm guessing it won't be a "bolt-up", but a little fabrication work won't hurt. I was just hoping there might be a direct replacement.
Many Thanks,
Boodog

Posted on: 2015/2/22 19:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nice store. Had to add that one to my bookmarks.

They carry the same Newport kit so if you order the correct one for your drive it should be bolt in or at the worst need a couple of washers to space it out a tad.

Inverter has more capacity than the one Newport sold so a bonus but also a bit more expensive than theirs was.

Where your fabrication skills might be needed is in the switch -- unless you plan on just drilling a hole in the dash and leaving the old as a dummy. I've had electric in my 56 since removing the aux vacuum source when the oil pump was changed years ago. Decided to swap a Chevy electric out for a Newport because that motor was smaller in depth and looked better and wouldn't interfere as much with other stuff nearby.

Wanted to keep the dash switch intact since it also controls the washer. Didn't want to lose the co-ordinator either so that was a second motive -- see if I could make the wiper co-ordinator work with the Newport. The Chevy had that ability built in but I accomplished both objectives on the Newport by making a switch module the original cable as well as the co-ordinator could operate. Didn't turn out too bad and upside is if the next owner want to go back original nothing was modified or destroyed.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.38 KB)
209_54ea7bf6ca6ca.jpg 1087X514 px

jpg  (78.92 KB)
209_54ea7c103e7f8.jpg 1280X628 px

Posted on: 2015/2/22 20:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lyle Darnell
See User information
Looks very nice. By the time I get the motor and inverter, I will have well over $300.00 in the setup, but I will also have a nice 12 volt supply for such things as a modern radio, GPS, cell phone charger, etc. This makes the cost a little easier to swallow. The old 49 was a "barn find" and in pretty bad shape. Like all restorations, it's a labor of love. If you count the cost it will drive you nuts.
Later
Boodog

Posted on: 2015/2/22 20:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved