Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 183

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: coil and condenser question
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Your insistence that it is a noise suppresor based solely on the mounting location is very poor analysis.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 18:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
I honestly don't know what it's a condenser for. There is one in the distributor next to the points. I'm not referring to this one. This particular one I'm talking about is another condenser mounted on the coil. It was originally wired to the negative terminal on the coil. This engine has not been started since 1975. I'm trying to bring it back to life. Replacing all condensers and points because I'm getting really weak fire. I'm just not sure I had this particular condenser ( the external one) connected to the right place on the coil.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check the back of the ignition switch for a condenser. If none is found it sounds as if someone decided it was easier to mount it at the coil instead of at the coil wire terminal of ign switch. With a negative ground car it would go on the positive terminal of coil. If there is one at the switch, there should be no need for a second at the coil. In any case, for a suppression condenser you can leave it off until you get the car running.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.18 KB)
209_5549631a6e98c.jpg 388X230 px

Posted on: 2015/5/5 19:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Weak spark then do NOT connect the condensor at the coil for anything until engine is running. The ONLY condenser that the ignition needs will be the condenser by the ignition points.
Posably the this extra radio suppresion condenser is causing problems. Leave it off until the car is running correctly.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 21:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U mentioned above 'replacing all condensers (plural) and points.

Very likely a weak sparrk is due to a bad COIL. Poor electrical connexions alsso can be a problem. The IGNITION system to make the car RUN requires ONE, exactly one and only one condenser. Worry about radio later on after the engine problem is streightened out.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If eleminating the extra conendser at the coil does not help then the coil is suspicous.
HOWEVER, it could be the wiring to and from ign switch.
1. eleminate the extra condenser at the coil.
if that doesn't get engine running good then
2. Use a TEMPORARY jumper wire from the pos post of battery to positive side of coil (u did day the car is negative ground).
If that does not work then a baad coil. replace the coil.

DO NOT LEAVE THE JUMPER WIRE CONNECTED INDEFINTELY!!!
Connect the jumper ONLY for the time u are attempting to actualy start and run the car. Disconnect it when taking a smoke or cofffe break or any other kind of break.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The little technical note about the ignition switch mounting doesn't explain why it is there.

When the points open there is a voltage surge through the primary (points) side of the coil which mutually induces same in the secondary (spark) side of the coil. On the secondary side this surge finds ground through the spark plug and on the primary side it surges through the ignition switch. This second condenser absorbs the surge.

The generator also produces voltage spikes which can create noise as does any winding or arcing switch in the system. However, given the crap on the airwaves I would only be concerned with the fact that voltage spikes are not a good thing and are best reduced.

Mounting such under the dash means some shade tree operator won't see it and throw it away. AKA "Duh?, who needs this thing?"

Posted on: 2015/5/6 17:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved