Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 231

Dealer1, flopperwatcher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Power Steering Actuator Bracket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi Guys,

I am the guy who is installing PS in his dad's 1949 Packard.

Does anyone who has PS happen to have a picture of the bracket that "anchors" the passenger (right) side of the PS actuator?

I need to fabricate this part and I would greatly appreciate a picture of what the OEM bracket looks like.

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/5/17 18:23
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Actuator Bracket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming you mean for the Monroe unit?? Plate is 1/4" thick with stiffening bends on each side.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.35 KB)
209_55592c7f92718.jpg 680X1280 px

jpg  (58.98 KB)
209_55592c8d4a584.jpg 622X1114 px

jpg  (40.52 KB)
209_55592c9811e13.jpg 487X934 px

jpg  (45.53 KB)
209_55592cb4c248d.jpg 492X841 px

Posted on: 2015/5/17 19:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i think pac sw has it,,cause i have the washers off of one

Posted on: 2015/5/17 19:42
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard, just sell him that one, less the corrupt rubber, of course.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/5/17 21:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Howard, just sell him that one, less the corrupt rubber, of course.

Craig, I hought about it. Originally had plans for that Monroe system to go on the 47 exactly as Packard 1948 is doing with his car. Will admit it is not as likely to happen now as it was when I saved the unit but it is the only one I have and still want to keep the options open. As Riki mentioned, Gerry at PackardsSouthwest might be a good option for one or maybe Mike Dulinski.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 22:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Howard,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your time doing this!!! I am honored at the time you put into this question to help me out. BIG HELP (All CAPS cyber yelling intentional)!!!

Yes, I bought a Monroe unit because it apparently has a more elegant plumbing and valving (internal and integral to the unit) arrangement as opposed to the Bendix unit that has more external plumbing and hoses.

It appears as if the PS bracket would be bolted onto the inside right hand chassis frame rail in lieu of the idler arm.

Here is a picture of the idler arm and bracket on my dads car. It is bolted onto the chassis with two bolts that are screwed directly onto threaded inserts on the chassis rail and the two bolt holes are 2 inches apart.

Looking at the top picture you sent, it almost looks like the top hole of the bracket would (could) bolt up to the top idler arm bracket holes (and if the holes were 2 inches on center) then the right hand hole would match up with the bottom idler arm bracket hole and then bracket would hang down and forward below the chassis.

My chassis has a third hole that I initially thought would mate up with the third hole of the bracket however it is too far forward and too close to the bend in the chassis so it certainly would not work. I have no idea what that hole is for. The third hole of the bracket would need to be bolted onto the chassis with a self taping bolt.

Does anyone know if the 1955 chassis bolt holes are in the same location/configuration as the 1949 unit (in other words is the PS bracket designed to be a direct bolt on unit to make non-power steering cars power steering)?

If so the best course of action for me would be to simply buy an OEM bracket. What year/model car did that bracket come off of???

If the holes are different, then it looks like I would need to fabricate my own bracket and try to make it look as OEM as possible.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (19.19 KB)
84982_555a6737e51ad.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/5/18 17:38
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Also...I'm glad you included a picture of the grommet end with the grommet "system" installed. I did not expect that to be installed like that...interesting design on the outboard grommet!!!

Posted on: 2015/5/18 17:44
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That Monroe system came off a 56 Clipper and I don't know if the idler mounting is the same but suspect they may be close. Your idler appears oriented the same way as my Bendix power steering idler but there are three thru holes thru the frame on mine. Yours also looks to be mounted a bit higher on the frame.

Here is an illustration of the Monroe bracket from the parts manual. It does use the same holes as the idler but from the look, it appears to be reversed from the Bendix and manual idler and lower end where cylinder rod attaches points forward. The unused hole on my car is right at the bottom edge of frame and slightly forward of the two being used by the Bendix idler -- not quite directly under the topmost hole. I believe the forward tilt and lower location would put the end of cylinder rod just below the frame

Maybe someone with a Monroe system can take a real photo of the mount for you.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.17 KB)
209_555a84fec727a.jpg 372X589 px

Posted on: 2015/5/18 19:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
HH56,

You have been most helpful...can I PLEASE trouble you for the measurement for the distance between the two top bolt holes?

If...BIG IF...they are 2.00 inches on center then my guess is that the holes are aligned so that all I need to do is center punch and drill the third hole and then thread the third hole and then bolt it on then...my guess (hope)... is that the bracket will be a direct bolt on deal.

I could almost make a template off of your diagram and see if the cardboard template will work.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/5/18 22:40
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Packard 1948- I do not know your schedule for trying to do the power steering conversion. I am pretty sure that the accumulator bracket is still attached to the frame of one of the 1955 400 series parts cars. I am guessing that it is probably the same as the one Howard photographed .
If I am wrong, I am sure someone will tell me.
I will not be able to get out to the parts cars until the weekend but I know they all had the Monroe units. If it is there and you can use it- it is yours for the postage to mail it.
Send a note with an address .

Posted on: 2015/5/18 23:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved