Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Don B, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lubrication, '39 12, clutch & brake vacuum cylinders
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

albo123
See User information
The shop manual is silent on lubrication of these units. However, a lubrication chart published in 1940 by Union Oil Company, recommends the following: "Disconnect vacuum line and inject 2 oz each cylinder every 10,000 miles". The lubricant they suggest is "Homelube," whatever that is. I recently purchased this car. It would not surprise me if the last time this was done, if ever, was before Pearl Harbor. Anyone have comments on whether or not this should even be attempted, and if so, what lubricant should be used? When I Googled, homelube, all that came up were lubes applicable for amorous moments with a partner. I suspect this is not the lube that Union Oil was recommending.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 8:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Lubrication, '39 12, clutch & brake vacuum cylinders
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've lubricated the power brake cylinder in my 34 Eight perhaps twice or 3 times over the last 45,000 miles and I strongly recommend you drop the cylinders and check to see if they still hold a tight vacuum and if so, add some lubricant. I use Mobil Vacuum Oil. From my experience the units are very robust and long-lived; most service parts for the cylinder and control valves are available from Classic & Exotic which also offers a rebuild service.

The diaphragms in the control valves are made of a special paper composition and I often find them still functional despite all the years. Replacements in rubber are also available from C&E.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 8:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Lubrication, '39 12, clutch & brake vacuum cylinders
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

albo123
See User information
Thanks Owen. Just the info I was hoping to get. Very helpful.
All the best,
Richard

Posted on: 2015/7/25 15:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved