Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 201

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

EE 3 accelerator pump
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Put a rebuild kit from Classic & Exotic in my EE 3 carburetor. The old accelerator pump had disintegrated to almost nothing from our modern gasoline. The new pump fits in OK, but doesn't move and down as freely as the old one. This is the type with the round spring behind a leather disc. I put a very light film of oil on the accelerator pump cylinder in the carb housing to lubricate it for the leather pump. Is it normal for these accelerator pumps to be a little stiff right at first when installing them, and that they need to be broken in a bit?

Posted on: 2015/10/12 11:26
 Top  Print   

Re: EE 3 accelerator pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Standard practice is to soak the accelerator pump plunger in gasoline for a few hours before installing. Of course the oil you applied will be removed by gasoline, probably within a stroke or two, or a matter of minutes. You should get very long life even with today's gasoline with the leather plunger, mine's still doing fine after 20 years; it was the non-leather plunger seals that proved to be short-lived with ethanol/gasoline.

Posted on: 2015/10/12 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Make sure the cylinder is smooth on its walls.

Posted on: 2015/10/12 23:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've run into the same problem.

The new pump piston was so tight the gas pedal would stick open.

I wouldn't risk using it until you call them for some advice.

In my case the old piston was okay to use and I put the new one in the glove compartment. I only bought the kit because I was fixing a leaky float and had the thing apart anyway.

Posted on: 2015/10/13 15:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved