Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Double Action Fuel Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
HELP!

I spent two hours this afternoon reviewing all the posts I could find using the search words "fuel pump" attempting to find a double action fuel pump that will fit my 55 400. Apparently no one has posted anything on the subject. Lots of stuff on single action, including a long list of Ford engines with pumps that will work on Packard V8s.

Is there some place that would permit me to compare physical characteristcs of single and double action pumps?

Is a double action pump an adequate substitute for the oil pump vacuum pump or am I barking up the wrong tree>

Bernardi

Posted on: 2015/11/4 22:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Double Action Fuel Pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nash and Hudson used the double action pumps on their version of the Packard motor and thanks to a recent post from Jim L reminding us of that fact a few of us bought one as a backup when an ebay vendor had a few. There is still a rebuilt Hash pump currently on ebay.

Ross mentioned in this post his use of a 56 Thunderbird double action pump in one of his packups. Hash pumps might be harder to find but the Ford pumps should be more readily available. If he sees this thread maybe he could provide a number but Rockautohttp://www.rockauto.com shows a dual action Airtex pump for the 56 TBird that looks like it might work. The vacuum ports are slightly different though. They appear to use hoses to the metal tubing rather than brass fittings directly connecting the metal tubing.

Packard and many others used the double action pumps for so many years that I would see no reason they would be any less efficient than the oil pan pump.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 22:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The XRef lists the Ford Y-Block fuel pump as a direct interchange with the Packard V-8 fuel pump. I called Carter about the Ford fuel pumps they sell and ended up buying a 428 (Not Y-block, but FE engine) High Performance fuel pump for my Panther. The lever arms on the Y-Block and FE are identical and the fuel pump bolts onto the Packard and the cam travel appears correct for proper action.

However, you have to reclock the inlet/outlet to get them lined up correctly and use some "street elbow" type adapters. No biggie on an aftermarket pump, but would be a challenge on an OEM (stamped) one.

Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2015/11/5 10:36
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I had a 59 Ford pickup with six cylinder. I added the double action fuel pump and it made a big difference.

If you are not satisfied with the added vacuum pump, a vacuum reservoir and one way valve will give you the equivalent of electric wipers if the vacuum motor is in good shape.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 18:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
I'm trying to find a single action fuel pump for my '56 374 and when I go to my local parts store and ask for a fuel pump for a"Y" block Ford 392, they look at me like I've lost my mind. The X'Ref list doesn't give me a year nor part numbers for this pump. Does anyone have some part numbers for me to ask my local parts store for? Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 21:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
There are a few part numbers for Ford Y-Block 292 pumps. Carter M73063 and AIRTEX 4406 are both listed as fitting that engine. You can always say you have a 56 Ford Thunderbird if they ask...

Posted on: 2015/11/17 0:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
This is what I used on my Panther:

Mechanical fuel pump: 352-428 FE Ford
Carter Muscle Car mechanical pumps
Summit: CRT-M6905, $80

Craig

Posted on: 2015/11/17 5:32
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
I seem to be all thumbs or just plain out of luck.

I wanted to thank Craig and HH56 for their help finding the right double action fuel pump. First my computer refused to work, then the thank you failed to post.

In my garage now is a double action pump meant for the 1955-57 Thunderbirds. If the action is not sufficient on a long upgrade, I'll investigate another or larger vacuum tank.

Thanks to all - I wanted to thank promptly, but late is better than not at all. Without this thread, I'd be lost.

A friend just had the Ultramatic on his 55 Patrician lose all its fluid and quit working. His mechanic has torn it down and is discouraged. Apparently it needs just about everything replaced. Estimates are in the $2,000 - $3,000 range, plus installation. Is that the going rate?

Bernardi

Posted on: 2015/11/17 14:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 20:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Found this list a few years ago but cannot remember where or verify how accurate it might be. If you want some ideas on a pump which might work (but unless someone else can verify I would suggest a comparison with your original pump) it could be a starting point. I believe these models use the FE engines instead of the Y.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.47 KB)
209_564bde5f5f237.jpg 467X654 px

Posted on: 2015/11/17 21:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved