Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

dallas, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Hackers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I used to be amazed, but anymore I just shake my head at some of the hack jobs people are paying good money for.

Had a guy call recently that paid a local trans shop 3k to rebuild a 56 Ultramatic. Issue was he could not get the car to shift into direct lock up and car will only go 35-40 mph.

Just for starters Throttle level not adjusted correctly, all bolts and gaskets packed with RTV, wrong bolts crammed into holes, Front Valve Body cracked from twisting on the reverse brake assembly. Reverse Brake Assembly put together backwards, Bushings were shot never replaced, RTV and hardened lock-tight found all throughout valve body, and the pressure screw was turned all the way in. Unfortunately he had to pay again to get it done right and at least is happy he can drive.

I have another one getting ready to ship to Norway and not quite as bad, only missing one clutch disk and plate, and missing spring and back lash washer in output shaft, Torque converter another story.

Converter missing Reactor Thrust Spacer, thus grinding an 1/8" off the bottom of the converter turbine right down to the impellers and galling the front cone. The Converter pump cone completely galled. Have no Idea how this ran let alone making a racket.

Good thing I have spare parts, then off to get it balanced.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.96 KB)
17226_564bd1e9ecab0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (44.02 KB)
17226_564bd36de9f3e.jpg 852X480 px

jpg  (63.82 KB)
17226_564bd377e8ce2.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (48.86 KB)
17226_564bd38098afd.jpg 1136X640 px

jpg  (60.04 KB)
17226_564bd3891dd18.jpg 1136X640 px

Posted on: 2015/11/17 20:25
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Hackers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Motiv8
See User information
Those kind of hacks are criminal in my mind. The average shop shies away from antique repairs and the car owner takes his chances elsewhere often getting bit as in your case. Seen this many times thru the yrs, mostly w/ engines. These are the reasons many don't get an antique car and hurts the hobby. I believe word of mouth usually is pretty reliable if you consider the source.You've documented much. Does the owner have any recourse?

Posted on: 2015/11/18 5:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Oh the Humanity!

Posted on: 2015/11/18 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Motiv8- unfortunately no, the trans shop gave no warranty. Since this is a show car it is not driven much, it is a trailer Queen, so took a bit to notice the failure when they did take it for a drive.

At least I give a one year one time replacement on the ones I touch.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 10:00
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Having an Ultramatic, Twin or not, rebuilt by a local or chain transmission shop which doesn't understand the significant differences between it and other transmissions is just begging for disappointment and probably a "do-over". Fortunately there are some folks around who truly understand these units and can provide a rebuild which gives excellent performance and longevity.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 10:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved