Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 237

Don B, BigKev, Bob J, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Topshift ' Box Update new guy...Wow
Just popping in
Just popping in

miller91
See User information
First off thanks for the responses to my previous post, and the heartwarming welcome.

So after the water/rust damage to the gearbox,tear down and inspection, I thought for sure the mainshaft was toast, the inner and outer synchronizer sleeves were worrisome, but I felt everything else was salvageable.

One word...Evaporust.

The web said wonders about this stuff, including Hot Rod magazine, other forums/blogs...and wow did it deliver. Pretty cheap too.

I am wary about snake oil, but this melted the iron oxide off like butter after an hour or two. The mainshaft freed up, and the steel was bright without removing the hardening. I think the box is saved!

So I am pickling everything in oil after I do final cleaning and deburring. The gears show normal wear, and the case has been cleaned, blasted and primed. Final judgement before I assemble will come after a thorough inspection, but I am psyched.

Posted on: 2016/6/29 21:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Topshift ' Box Update new guy...Wow
Just popping in
Just popping in

WillieIngerson
See User information
Nice work! I'll have to try that evaporust, there is plenty of rust on my car. You could polish that main shaft by wrapping a strip of 2000 grit sand paper around it. I guess the Packard transmissions are great. Some guys swap them into there non packards because they shift nice and are heavy duty

Willie

Posted on: 2016/6/30 8:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved