Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Black Bess 2 Updates?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Has anyone heard any updates on the 1957 Packard Black Bess 2?
We were talking in the garage tonight about it and wondered if there were any updates. Last anyone remembers is the article in Hemmings from 2013.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 22:33
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Re: Black Bess 2 Updates?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a good question. There are some photos of the bodywork and some of the frame in various posts here on site. After the short period of time when those posts were active updates on the project seems to have dried up. I think there was a post that the fellow doing it was losing his work space due to a highway project or something like that. AFAIK no other news has come along.

Posted on: 2016/11/16 10:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Dug back into the archives here on the forum. Thanks to Howard's leads.
Found the posts and project photos of the 1957 Packard Four Hundred and Black Bess.
There hasn't been any recent posts I could find since 2013. Seems Denny had sublet his building to the State of Pennsylvania for a staging area for a highway project. The road project should be done by now I would hope.
I PMed Denny to see if there has been any progress or new photos.
I will let us know if I receive a response.

Posted on: 2016/11/16 21:10
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
After several attempts there hasn't been any reply. Today's date is 1-13-17.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 20:28
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

57 Detroit Built
See User information
I received a phone call awhile back about the request for info on the 57 Packard project. I have been having trouble getting onto this site. The car has been mothballed the past few years. The state road project kept my building longer than promised. I in the meantime started to restore a 48 Jeepster and 49 Nash wrecker thus losing interest in the Packard project. The Jeepster will be done this month which will loosen up time and money. The Packard had to have the bare tin sanded down and acid primer etch about 4 months ago. It is a primer green right now. Front fender blanks have been started. The tin work that goes around the grille is built along with the hood front edges. Back in Sept. 2016 I met a man who had the actual blueprints for the chassis. I was able to compare measurements and everything is pretty close to what Packard would have done. I was also able to see the Clipper split bar torsion bar blue prints. It was not what I thought it would be. I may go gung ho possibly in April on the car again. Thanks for wondering

Posted on: 2017/2/14 21:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Hi, Denny,
Thank you for the update! Glad you and the Packard are ok.
Amazing you came across the chassis and torsion bar blueprints.
Glad to hear about your renewed interest in continuing your project.
Would love to see additional photos if you get a chance. Thanks again and hope to hear from you again.

Bill

Posted on: 2017/2/14 22:37
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

57 Detroit Built
See User information
Finally got a chance to post pictures tonight or the 1957 Packard 400 that I am building. First photo is of the car as it sits right now. The body was done is acid etched primer on the outside to stop the surface rust. It can be see on the back sear panel.

Second Photo is the rear shot of the car. The rear bumper has been roughed out.

The Third Photos shows 56 Packard front bumper that will be used to make a 57 style bumper. The engine that you see is a dummy mock up with no inside parts in it.

The Forth photo is of the actually 374 engine that will be built for the car. The ultramatic tranny is built but needs a 56 golden hawk transmission tail stock put on.

The fifth photo shows the tin that will go on the front of the hood and under where the center shield is in the center of the grille.

The Sixth photo shows the front fender blanks. The crease has been put down the center and the ends that butt up against the doors have been beaded. The next stage will be roll forming the tops of the fenders.

I finished the Jeepster last week. The Nash Wrecker project is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule and should be finished in another 2 weeks. I will probably get started on this project again by mid March. That's all for now hope this answers any questions. Thanks for the interest - Denny

Attach file:

jpg  (291.85 KB)
5923_58ba2be9acf34.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (243.73 KB)
5923_58ba2ce2a31a1.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (261.39 KB)
5923_58ba2dd0125d5.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (280.67 KB)
5923_58ba2f1694f22.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (171.80 KB)
5923_58ba2ffdd203a.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (157.17 KB)
5923_58ba310dc471b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/3/3 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Hi Denny,
Thank you for posting your photos of your 57 Packard 400.
Your work is amazing! I wish I had some of your skill.
Glad to hear of the restart of this project. Can't wait to see photos of the front clip come together.
What a shame S-P couldn't get the financial help to make this car into production. Offering the convertible and a stationwagon as well.!This car would've perhaps let Detroit Packard survive into the 1960's and beyond.

Posted on: 2017/3/4 10:39
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
This is a very interesting build. I remember seeing an article on this car being recreated in one of the car magazines.
Is there a link to more pictures and designing of this recreation? A project blog?

John

Posted on: 2019/8/12 15:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved