Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

53pc, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Project Packrat48
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
HH56, thanks for the info, yeah I found out there was a difference last night when I found the blown one and nothing I had would fit LOL. The good thing is it had the right one in there so it was easy to match up and I got lucky it was the last pack of them they had.

I installed the fuse tonight and it didn't blow so that's a good sign!! I'm assuming its working right I'm going road test it when all this rain stops. I have power coming in on one side and when a put it in reverse power comes through the other terminal.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 23:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You will need to get the cable working or else have the knob in all the way so the lockout switch on the end of the dash bracket is closed. If the cable is still not hooked up you need to wire the lever so it is toward the rear. In that position the pawl is not blocked and lockout sleeve is shifted so the unit will be able to go into OD.

You should have power on terminal 1 of the relay. If so, and the lever is in the rear, you can test the relay and solenoid with the car sitting by using a jumper and momentarily grounding terminal 5 of the relay. You should hear a click from the relay and depending on how far the plunger can move, another sound from the solenoid. If you do then go for the test drive. With the relay cover screw on the bottom which I think is what I see in your photo, 5 will be the middle terminal on the top row.

When you get to OD speed - 17-25 mph or so - if the governor, kickdown sw and wiring is good and rest of electrical is working, there will be a light under the speedo that illuminates. When you see the light let off the gas for a second and it should drop into OD.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.86 KB)
209_58804c0c3ffeb.jpg 640X573 px

Posted on: 2017/1/19 0:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Thank you I'm gonna try this test tomorrow. I have the lever pointed toward and tied off to the solenoid is that the direction your referring to?

Posted on: 2017/1/19 1:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The lever toward the front or solenoid is the locked out position. IIRC, the end of the lever will be at roughly 4 or 5 o'clock as if the knob were pulled out. To be able to engage OD the knob needs to push all the way in so the switch is activated and that would place the end of lever toward the rear or roughly 7 or 8 o'clock. Wire it to the rear to be able to engage OD.

When you get the cable free and moving properly in the housing adjust the threaded clevis end at the lever by pulling the knob out all the way. Turn the clevis on the threads so the pin can insert in the lever when the lever is almost but not quite touching the front stop.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.71 KB)
209_58812270589bf.jpg 800X515 px

Posted on: 2017/1/19 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved