Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

Ozstatman, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 22 »

Re: Joe's '49 Club Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For someone wanting show ties, there are vendors selling repros of the metal ties common to the era but at $4 or so each it gets a bit expensive. If you don't need show quality, but still want something appropriate there is a readily available aluminum wire and pipe label which is easily modified. To my mind it is an acceptable if not quite perfect substitute that costs a lot less.https://www.mcmaster.com/#1601t63/=1cpkc4o

Use scissors to cut the rounded area of the label straight, trim to length and when applied they will look very much like the proper ties.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.98 KB)
209_5aedc8fe5d039.jpg 1250X404 px

jpg  (106.34 KB)
209_5aedc9410a177.jpg 1280X800 px

Posted on: 2018/5/5 10:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Hey, Joe. Going slowly. Finally got around to rebuilding the fuel pump, and the carb is now flooding like an SOB.

Posted on: 2018/5/5 11:54
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
As far as your fuel tank situation, you may want to check my progress blog. (No progress in some time, however). I restored my tank, and it has held up just fine. Cleaned it with diluted muriatic acid strapped to an electric concrete mixer, and filled with chains, nuts, and bolts. Coated with Eastwood's product after drying.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=8950&forum=10

Posted on: 2018/5/5 13:51
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
I'm about 90% finished with the under hood wiring, just need to finish some final connections. All the segments of the harness have been covered with braided sleeving and the ends closed with heat shrink. Not original but neater than electrical tape. Someone asked about the zip ties, see picture. They were just temporary to hold the wires in place to form the harness.

The box in the place of the regulator is a 175 amp master fuse.

Attach file:

jpg  (98.96 KB)
8531_5af49f2010a96.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (119.31 KB)
8531_5af49f2bd4a0f.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2018/5/10 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
That's really slick. Great job!

Posted on: 2018/5/10 21:30
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Since there is no regulator, have you changed to an alternator or 12 volt system for the car.? My regulator has been a source of many problems, trying to keep car origianal, so I may give up on it.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 17:41
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My regulator has been a source of many problems, trying to keep car origianal, so I may give up on it.

If you have tried a new and correct regulator and it hasn't helped, one of the other posters (I think it was Tobs) found this solid state regulator which is advertised as being a lot more reliable than the old mechanical type. Not cheap but maybe comparable to NOS. If it works as advertised and since it uses the original regulator cover to appear stock it may be worth looking into. I believe the poster was using it on his car so if he sees this thread maybe he can provide more info.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 18:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You can either get a kit to retrofit your existing base and housing or buy their pre-made base which looks a bit different than original but will accept the original cover. They are available for either standard or high-amp systems. I've not used them myself but have had quite a bit of communication with the company so at least their support is good and I'm planning on trying one soon.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
"Since there is no regulator, have you changed to an alternator or 12 volt system for the car.?"

Yes, changed to an alternator. The alternator is a 6V positive ground. Maintained the 6V system just replaced the generator and regulator. I think a lot of electrical problems are caused by deteriorated wiring.

Posted on: 2018/5/12 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
Finished the wiring and starting to test the circuits. Added a battery disconnect switch to the battery "just in case".

Attach file:

jpg  (89.68 KB)
8531_5afc88c8f3aef.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2018/5/16 14:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved