Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 233

Duane Gunn, BigKev, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Factory A/C Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm quite disappointed to have gotten the 1955-1956 oil filter relocation tube blueprints to find that they are shown only as a straight piece of tubing when, of course, they each had several bends so I'm still looking for an original pair to buy or borrow. The blueprint simply says what size tube it is and has details for the end fittings and flares but nothing else.

Posted on: 2017/5/28 17:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Stainless would be nice. I wonder how much you have to buy to get the right stuff. 4 inches square per side would do it so I only looked at the usual retail places where you can buy a square foot or two. The mfg places usually want an order so large your project and half the Packards left running could be supplied.

Posted on: 2017/5/28 17:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, I'm going to look into it which is why I went through the trouble and expense of locating the blueprints and will post once I have the information.

Posted on: 2017/5/28 17:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd offer to measure and photograph mine but I can't say they are 100% original. I made them and more or less copied from an original pair. They fit and work but I probably fudged here or there too. If you want the photos let me know but if you are looking for completely stock these may not be the answer.

Posted on: 2017/5/28 17:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I would love to see photos of them, thank you! It all interests me very much and, of course, dimensions are most helpful. I would still like to find an original pair but working copies are useful to see too.

Posted on: 2017/5/28 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
That's odd that the blueprints would have straight lines.
They are not straight in what we can see in the install manual.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?56

Posted on: 2017/5/28 20:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's a preliminary print showing only the tubing size, to be finalized once it went into production but no later prints appear to be available.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 1:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don, I had every intention of removing the tubing, taking photos, and getting dimensions. I guess one of the curses or maybe advantages of old age is not remembering things as well and specifically how completely the factory AC bracket blocks access to anything under it. The extension I made to mount the Sanden compressor moves the compressor forward and doesn't help. I can barely see the tubing, let alone access the connections without getting down and dirty with the AC. Since my tubing was home made and may not be exactly the stock items you are looking to replicate I think I will pass on that exercise.

Here are some photos of what I have anyway. As I said it was a more or less copy of factory tubing from a factory AC car but I didn't have fancy tubing benders so my bends may not be as tight or in exactly the same places. I didn't try to get dimensions for that reason.

For the supply side, it comes out of the pressure fitting on the left head, bends in and down to go under the top passage and thermostat in water manifold, crosses over to the new right side filter location on the end of the factory compressor bracket and then bends up to go into the side port.

For the return side, tube drops straight down a couple of inches, makes a couple more bends in and over and then another bend to go straight into a 90 degree elbow near the oil fill tube. The oil will drop down into the lifter chamber.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.84 KB)
209_592c4b1d827a6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (97.96 KB)
209_592c4b2b98776.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (78.58 KB)
209_592c4b37d2b10.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/5/29 11:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Don,
Are you are looking for the factory oil lines to and from the oil filter for the 55-56 Packard or the 53-54 Packard?
Or what HH did?

Posted on: 2017/5/29 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, thank you for all that work and it is most helpful! I hadn't realized there were so many small bends to it.

Yes, it was the 1955-1956 lines I asked about inadvertently, forgetting that the topic was about 1953-1954 A/C. I have both years and, as Howard said, I am of a certain age where forgetfulness happens.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 12:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved