Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1950 standard transmission fluid questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The transmissions are three speed with second and third synchronized. Overdrive was an option so your car may not have that unit attached to the rear of the transmission. In that case just check the oil in the trans section and ignore the instructions on checking or filling the OD unit.

If the car has been sitting a long time there is a good possibility the two levers at the bottom of the steering column are the issue. Those often did not get much benefit of a regular oiling and frequently the top one is rusted and even seized to the shift tube. They need to both be free to turn individually on the tube or the detent in the transmission will see the movement of both and not permit either to move since that could select two gears at once. The selector tongue operated by pulling the lever normally rests in the top 2-3 lever. Pulling the inside lever to the R and 1 spots moves the tongue to select the bottom lever to rotate with the tube while the top 2-3 lever remains stationary. Leaving the inside lever in its regular resting spot lets the tongue rotate the top 2-3 lever and the bottom R-1 lever stays stationary as the tube rotates.

There is a small oil hole more or less on the engine side of the tube which should periodically get a few drops of oil. The oil will flow down inside the tube and run out to catch the selector tongue on its splines and also a bit runs out to the lower lever but the top lever never gets any oil unless the oil can misses the hole and some oil spills and runs down the tube.

I would suggest some oil in the small hole and also a few drops at the top of the upper lever so it can run down between the lever and tube. It may even take some penetrating oil for the top lever. If the lever has already seized it may require disassembly to free it. Above all do not force anything or you run the risk of breaking the pot metal assy behind the steering wheel where the inside lever attaches.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.81 KB)
209_59b88a432911b.jpg 1280X312 px

jpg  (33.48 KB)
209_59b88a4c4d317.jpg 1280X342 px

jpg  (63.29 KB)
209_59b88a5652a9d.jpg 1280X699 px

Posted on: 2017/9/12 20:35
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Zicha
See User information
Now THAT...is in depth. Thank you very much. I got the oil drained and refilled. I also put oil in the little hole in the picture and everything shifts like the car is brand new.

Posted on: 2017/9/13 0:14
1950 Packard Standard 8- plain jane no options!
24,000 original miles
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Hello
I am getting my service on my ‘49 8 Touring Sedan, and the technician was inquiring about an equivalent to the oil used in the 3spd w/OD, available today. If anyone knows of a better option please post. Thanks for the info!

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4478.jpeg (247.08 KB)
226376_64f7852069bc6.jpeg 1920X1160 px

Posted on: 2023/9/5 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Too thin a lube in the standard transmission may allow the clutch disc to spin longer than usual when de-clutching or shifting gears, which can be annoying. It's usually a hot weather problem, if it's a problem at all. Too heavy a lube can cause hard shifting in cold weather and may cause slower engine cranking on cold starts. There may be other considerations concerning brass synchronizer parts with some gear lubes.

Posted on: 2023/9/5 16:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved