Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 239

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Coil wired backwards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I just noticed the coil on my Super8 was wired backwards. The car ran OK but I assume that when I wire it the correct way, it will have a stronger spark and run smoother.

Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2019/8/12 21:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Coil wired backwards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Yes it will run a bit better wired properly! As an aside...I had a girl friend wired like that well over 50 years ago. Wonder what happened to her!? Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/8/12 22:21
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I assume that when I wire it the correct way, it will have a stronger spark and run smoother.

The difference when you wire the coil the correct way is the spark will jump from the center electrode to the wire connected to the outer shell. With the wrong polarity the spark has to jump from the wire to the center.

The coil is much more efficient when wired correctly and the reason is the center electrode is insulated and designed to get and stay hot. Electrons are more concentrated and active on a heated confined surface and will jump easily. The wire is connected to the shell which is threaded into the massive heat sink of the head so electrons jumping from the cooler and larger wire and shell surface to the center will be less concentrated and need to work harder. That extra work can mean the difference between a decent spark or one that is marginal.

In a 12v system you might not see the difference because if a bit of voltage is lost it won't be too noticeable but on a 6v system every little bit of efficiency counts in case something is amiss and voltage is being lost elsewhere.

Posted on: 2019/8/12 23:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Folks:

Thanks for the input. I will add that to my to-do list for this weekend!

Gar

Posted on: 2019/8/13 8:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved