The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 55

Rich1028, mikes55, Jason75, more...

Tips/Tricks/Suggestions for replacing lifters
Home away from home
From Salt Lake City, UT
I am planning on attempting to replace the lifters on my '55 Patrician. I just have one lifter that is ticking, but I figure may as well replace them all. I got really great direction from a member in Houston on my project blog - but I also wanted to post in the V8 forum because more info is always better.

Posted on: 8/16 6:21:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Tips/Tricks/Suggestions for replacing lifters
Home away from home
From WA
Opening a can of worms, you are!

Are you just patching a problem or do you want to clean, check, fix everything While you're in there?

Replace the valve stem seals, disassemble the rocker shafts remove the end plugs and clean the interior of the shafts.

We always test the valve springs for pressure. About half are no longer as stiff as the spec.

Check the rocker arm tips for wear and regrind if necessary. Check the pushrod cups in the rocker arms. There have been a few cases of enough wear to capture the pushod and keep it from rotating.

Check your valve spring retainers for hardness. If a file easily cuts an edge, they're soft. A file will skate on the later hardened retainers. The '55 retainers were so soft, the keepers can pull through the retainer. Some may have been replaced already.

Is the oil pump still original?

jack vines

Posted on: 8/16 8:18:44

Home away from home
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oil pump is the Olds conversion, it's just one lifter ticking and it comes and goes. I think I've narrowed it down to the #6 cylinder.

Posted on: 8/16 13:14:02

Home away from home
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oh and Jack - I'd love to really go ahead and fix everything while I'm in there, I'm just not sure my capabilities are up to the challenge. I'm learning as I go.

Posted on: 8/17 8:49:04

Home away from home
From WA
Yes, replacing valve stem seals in sutuis best left to someone with a bit of experience.

jack vines

Posted on: 8/17 11:41:18

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
5667-1503 Ebay Jan 2007 Interior View
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.