The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...

# one cylinder tower on cap? '38 six
Not too shy to talk
From Grants Pass Oregon
I can't find where it's supposed to be. Does it really matter? I understand that I need to time the oil pump to the cam to change which tower is used but none of my books designate the "proper" location. Getting ready to start it, Bob

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1742.jpg (913.14 KB)
144730_5d6ee2a17699f.jpg 2048X2730 px

Posted on: 9/3 15:01:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: # one cylinder tower on cap? '38 six
Forum Ambassador
From Fresno CA
For the most part Packard factory wiring diagrams showed the plug wire orientation so on this diagram of the 38 six it would appear the engineers placed #1 at the same approx 7:00 position where many of the inline eights were also positioned.

As you said, one or two teeth off on the oil pump gear and #1 would land a bit differently but all would still work as long as the appropriate correction was made when connecting the plugs. For the next guy working on the engine it is still nice to try and get it where it is expected.

Attach file:

jpg  38 six wiring.jpg (566.63 KB)
209_5d6eeb6e63fb6.jpg 1620X999 px

Posted on: 9/3 15:38:40

Re: # one cylinder tower on cap? '38 six
Home away from home
What is nice on the eights, and I believe also on the sixes, is that when everything is assembled per the factory, #1 is at 7 o'clock and if you make the vac advance point straight forward the timing will also be correct within a couple of degrees making for an easy first start.

Posted on: 9/3 17:38:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
Image236
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.