Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
29 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 28

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 141 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Ken - I checked out Brillman and ordered a set of correct wires from them. Not a bad price. Most kits that I would have made myself would have incorrect boots ('54 Juniors didn't have boots on the plugs) and incorrect color wires. So I figured might as well get it correct.

Mike - thanks again for the contacts!

Tobs - Thanks for the info. I'll give it a good look over and see what I find. Hopefully between checking for leaks and replacing the plugs/wires, I can get the engine running smooth again. I was a little disheartened that it was running so rough when it seemed to run fine when I put it in the garage for the first time. But maybe the guy I bought it from buttered it up or something?

JW - I'm pretty sure the oil I got should work then, but I'll need to confirm. It's NAPA brand, made by Valvoline. It doesn't say anything about hypoid, but does say it's meant for GL-4 and GL-5 applications, and "extreme" pressure.

Ernie - I totally forgot about Seattle Packard until Mike reminded me about it. Next item I need I'll check with David Moe and see if he's got it.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/7/31 16:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
...JW - I'm pretty sure the oil I got should work then, but I'll need to confirm. It's NAPA brand, made by Valvoline. It doesn't say anything about hypoid, but does say it's meant for GL-4 and GL-5 applications, and "extreme" pressure...

-Kevin

You should be fine with that oil.

Posted on: 2020/8/1 11:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
How's the repair of the roof going? Did I miss it?

Posted on: 2020/8/1 12:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Joe - Still in process. I talked to another friend who is far more experienced in welding and has the right equipment. We're going to spend a couple hours on Monday starting to put the new header in. The old is out and the new one almost ready to go. It's not a fun process.

In the meantime, I decided to tackle the other things that I knew needed to happen....fluid changes, gaskets, trying to get the car running smooth.

Once the header is in and done, then I can get a windshield and gasket ordered and proceed from there.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/8/1 13:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Kevin, I don't know if you've seen this but it has some good information of the frame work for the 24th series, maybe helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGYYcL1IqdI
Wes

Posted on: 2020/8/1 16:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Wes - that was a very informative video, thanks for sharing that. I actually learned a lot from it.

Not much done on the car yesterday. I'm waiting for the new spark plug wires to come in, but I did go ahead and replace the old spark plugs.

The old ones looked pretty bad. The ends of all of them were pure black. Lots of crud around the necks of them too. I blasted out any debris with air before I removed them, then carefully removed the plugs and vacuumed around the holes to be sure there was no debris left.

New plugs (Autolite 308) went in and torqued to 25 ft lbs.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (57.32 KB)
1059_5f2776debf2dd.jpg 576X1024 px

jpg  (112.40 KB)
1059_5f2776ebc75bf.jpg 1024X576 px

Posted on: 2020/8/2 21:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
She lives again! Even after plug replacement and new wires the car ran incredibly rough. We went through and double checked everything, following the timing instructions in the Service Manual. Compression stroke on #1, align damper to 6 degrees before TDC, rotor in the right position, check all plugs to be sure they are in the right order, etc.

During our look-through we noticed the contact on the top of the rotor (the part that contacts the lead coming from the coil) was bent over somehow. We straightened that out, cleaned all the contacts, and loosened the distributor so we could adjust it.

Fired it up and with a small twist of the distributor it smoothed out and was nice and quiet. Idle speed is right about 450 RPM, and confirmed the timing with a timing light.

With the engine running smoothly we decided to test the transmission, so we placed the gas can we were siphoning from in the trunk, shifted the tools on the floor so my friend and his son could sit on the bare floor, and I sat on a plastic crate. Transmission worked great, but then realized I had almost zero brakes so I'll be looking into that next. Driving up and down the gravel driveway was uneventful and very satisfying.

Sorry, can't upload a video so a picture will have to do.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpeg  (111.24 KB)
1059_5f2ad0d151a21.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2020/8/5 10:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Awesome! Those are the best kind of drives. Glad you got it smoothed out.

Posted on: 2020/8/5 15:15
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Kevin, my hat is off to you! Excellent way to review a problem finding and fixing it. Too many times people take the shotgun approach and just start replacing any and everything hoping to hit the target.
Good going!
Wes

Posted on: 2020/8/5 18:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Not much progress this weekend unfortunately. At this point I'm at the mercy of my friend's schedule to tackle the rust repair and welding. He has all the equipment and knowledge, and I want to be sure it's done right. So in the meantime I did some cleaning on the underside while I had access to the lift.

I scraped more caked on grime from the steering components (I'm amazed at how much is on there) but there is much more to do there.

I then turned my attention to the rear axle. The surface rust and general filth has always bugged me. So I cleaned it all off with a wire wheel (every surface of the rear axle and the diff housing), prepped it for paint, then primed and painted with semi-gloss black. I took care of the leaf springs and a few other spots while I was at it. Nothing special, but at least it looks better now. Eventually I'll do the whole underside, but that's a lower priority.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (102.00 KB)
1059_5f30c5b8ef9fb.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (85.93 KB)
1059_5f30c5c55e1d8.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (79.72 KB)
1059_5f30c5d2e634b.jpg 1024X576 px

Posted on: 2020/8/9 22:58
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 141 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved