Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlight Switch Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Does anyone know where I can buy, borrow, or make the 'special' headlight removal tool to remove the headlight switch?

Thanks for the help.
Gar

Posted on: 2020/8/5 19:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Headlight Switch Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the 57s use the same bezels and switches as a 55-6. If that is correct one of the regions in Southern California used to have some tools but the last repro I remember being offered was done by Troy who used to have Michiana Packards. I understand that business is no longer in operation so no idea if any other vendors or regions picked them up or have any of the ones already made.

It is a simple tool to make. You need a length of 1/4 hex stock or a 1/4 standoff about 1 1/2" long or a coupling nut. Some of the better local hardware stores may stock coupling nuts and there are some standoffs on ebay. The tool can can be made of aluminum or steel. Either will work but if you go with the local coupling nut the usual thread size of 4-40 or 6-32 can be 1/4 inch hex but that is not a given. You need to make sure the hex distance across flats is 1/4" and not 5/16" as is sometimes used on higher strength nuts.

You will need to drill using a 3/16 drill bit a hole thru the entire length so the switch shaft will be able to fit into the hole. I epoxied an old screwdriver handle on mine but that is luxury as you can slide just the hex piece over the shaft until it captures the internal bezel nut and turn it with a small wrench or pliers.

Posted on: 2020/8/5 19:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved