Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 225

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Ultramatic Saga
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I noticed a few brass plugs in the external for my 50, i'm assuming those are for pressure tests and yours would be the same.

Did you say if the car moved at all or just not when H is selected? Could it be possible that the shifter adjustment is out of whack and you're not really in H?

Posted on: 2011/1/28 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
No it moves, he said it moves in Low and Reverse. It will also shift and turn the wheels in High on the lift, just not on the ground. I really suspect the valve controller, I feel like the valves are not moving or not moving far enough to fully engage the high gear. I am sure valve controller is not its real name, I mean the controller thing that engages the bands, etc. I wonder if that would also control the fluid going into the torque converter upon starting the engine that he is wondering about?

Posted on: 2011/1/28 20:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is bulletin 51-T6 addressing a delay in going into high when shifting from reverse caused by a sticking pump relief valve. It doesn't define the length of delay, if it ever goes in or whether that is the only time it happens. Problem was caused by a misaligned spring so a spring seat was issued to center and correct. Might be worth checking that valve. I seem to recall some other mentions of it on later units as well. It is not part of valve body but external and behind a plug in the bellhousing

That valve is first in the line out of the pump so with the fill of converter issue maybe a possibility there as well.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 21:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
You're talking about the valve body, correct? Valve controller is close enough

You must have some fluid in there if it's moving, and if there's NOT any fluid in there or not enough, it could burn up the direct drive disc or some bushings running it without fluid.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
He did ask about a delay??? He kept asking about how long it took to engage after shifting... Wonder if the spring thing might be whats going on? I think I will mention this and the valve thing as well. You guys are a great asset!

Posted on: 2011/1/28 23:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
He's not driving in Low and then shifting to High and wondering why it isn't smooth is he? That never went smooth for me in mine, and i don't think they sorted that out until later versions of the tranny.

If you're at a standstill, and put it in H, it should want to go into gear "Right now" or with no undue delay letting you wonder what's up, like a modern tranny would perform. You should be able to "rock" a stuck car between R and forward gears.

I believe Ross pointed me to the seals around the servo pistons if that's not how it's acting.. Think part of the piston is the little one that "raps" and gets the bands attention and then the larger one does the work? I didn't study it that well, 51packard's thread has valuable info on that subject (and other ultra related info)

Anyways, those seals could be an issue, they dry up and they are critical to keeping pressure proper.

It would "sound" like, from your description of working on the lift and not on the ground, that you're REALLY low on fluid or acting like it (not getting to converter like you said), which is dangerous, or that you're not all the way in gear?

There really needs to be some pressure testing done, would sort all this out in about 10 seconds.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I am going to have him pressure test everything anyway. I am for sure passing on the info regarding the valve mentioned. Very much appreciated!

Posted on: 2011/1/29 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
My 50 is going (seemingly) in HL but not R and seems to be working against the parking mechanism in P. Do you know the mfr date of your car (mine is early 50, jan or feb.)

We may have sand cast valve bodies instead of die cast, which may require a different adjustment if i read into one of Ross's statements correctly... Hoping he checks back in shortly with advice.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 12:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The die cast body exteriors are very smooth in looks and feel if you run the finger across them. The sand cast that I've seen are fairly rough exterior--more like a medium sandpaper and have more rounded corners and sides rather than the mostly straight sides & machined look radius the die cast have.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 13:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I have the one piece arm you mentioned in the other thread, i'll take a pic of the valve body for the record if i have to drop the pan again.

Paul, hope things are moving forward for you, any news yet?

I'm the most impatient person ever, it's hard to wait all weekend while you know it's sitting there not getting any attention

Posted on: 2011/1/31 14:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved