The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
31 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...

what is it
Not too shy to talk
From Mayfield, KY, USA
this was removed from inside a trunk between fender well and quarter panel. Is this even used anymore

Attach file:

jpg  WIN_20161120_10_43_01_Pro.jpg (122.82 KB)
26561_5831d68ecc491.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/11/20 9:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: what is it
Home away from home
From Clover, SC
Looks like a jute rope. Depending on the year it could be used to make the space between the metal sound and/or water tight. My '49 uses a pitch based material similar to dum-dum. Today they'd call it seam sealer.
They used this around drain plumbing also. You fit teh bell and spigot together and tamp it in the space at the flange then pour molten lead on top to create a seal.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 9:32

Forum Ambassador
From Fresno CA
I believe that was a sound deadening material to keep the wheel well and outer fender from oil canning and touching and also to keep the fender from drumming. In some cases it may have also been a kind of seal to slow any dust or fumes in the trunk from passing thru the wide open channel between the two into the inner parts of car. Have also seen big gobs of body putty used in that area in addition to the factory rope like material. The putty may not have been factory applied and maybe was more of a reinforcement by a dealer. Pre 51 Clipper style bodies also have similar stuff at the rear of the trunk floor to fill a void between the floor panel and the outer skin.

With the different body construction today not sure if it is still used much but there are some modern equivalents such as form rod advertised for the same purpose at some restoration material places.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 9:36

Not too shy to talk
From Mayfield, KY, USA
thank you for the info i was thinking it looked like oakum

Posted on: 2016/11/20 10:50

Forum Ambassador
From Fresno CA
Oakum would probably work well in the application but don't know the diameters it comes in.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 10:54

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
1955 Clipper
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.