Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater shut off valve on 1940 with 356 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Have a badly leaking stem on the heater shut off valve. Has anyone had success in repacking the stem on this valve. Not sure if this valve is the original style or not. Is there a picture out there of the original type valve?
Bill

Posted on: 2012/12/14 21:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater shut off valve on 1940 with 356 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Should be a simple matter to just renew the stem packing. See you local plumbing supply store for suitable packing. Some prefer teflon but I've found the traditional graphited cord is the easiest to work with.

Posted on: 2012/12/14 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Owen, he may be refering to the heater control valve. If that is the case Big Kev has all the instructions he would need with photos on how to restore one.

Posted on: 2012/12/15 8:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Owen, he may be refering to the heater control valve. If that is the case Big Kev has all the instructions he would need with photos on how to restore one.

Packards1, not in 1940, they were just a simple petcock on the cylinder head, were they not? 1941 still used a simple petcock - at least on the conventionally styled cars. I don't know just when the Ranco valves came along but I'm fairly sure it was later, perhaps just postwar?

Posted on: 2012/12/15 8:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Conventional shut-off valve on 21st series, so maybe starting with the 22nd? There was a new design for heater-defroster with a fresh air intake.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/15 11:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The shut off valve on the prewar Packards is easily available in most good hardware stores. I bought mine at Elliots Hardware in Dallas TX for my 40 120.

Posted on: 2012/12/15 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
found another source for the shut off valve on the head. Chev's of the 40's has one, part number 985533 for $32. Looks like it will fit. A friend of mine has one on his 34 Chev 216 that he bought from Napa, but he had to get an old guy to help find it. The website is www.chevsofthe40s.com. It looks just like the one on my 39 120, but I have not tested it for fit.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Two sizes to consider when buying a new heater shut-off valve. The pipe thread size that screws into the cylinder head and the heater hose connection size. My guess is 3/8" NPT for the pipe thread and 1/2" for the heater hose.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/19 10:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved