Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trying Tyres?
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Evening all,

Has anyone any opinions on 'Lester' whitewall tyres?

I have, and am, using them but I have a few issues with them, am I alone on this?

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 15:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Trying Tyres?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let me guess. The car weaves all over the road. This problem is not uncommon with reproduction tyres of any manufacturer..

Posted on: 2009/2/18 15:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You don't have a lot of choice with 7:00 x 17 -6 ply rated tires for the 33-36 Eights and Super Eights. Lesters, Bedford Cord, and a Firestone mold. I have Lesters on my 34 and it drives and tracks quite nicely for a car with beam axle and front leaf springs. If yours doesn't I suggest a good front end alignment check - best done by a truck shop that deals with beam axles, bend same if needed, and shim the spring perches if necessary to attain correct alignment. I assume you keep your inflation pressures at about 34 psi cold?

From an appearance and authenticity viewpoint, the Bedford Cords are the closest to OEM appearance and from what I'm told are a very fine tire, though EXPENSIVE, they are also 8-ply rated. I'm on my 3rd set of Lesters over 45 years (they were previously known as Lincoln Highway tires) with never a complaint or problem. The vast majority of this vintage of Packards driven on tours have Lesters, in fact I'd guess the majority of all Classics on the road of this vintage use Lesters. Only negative on Lesters is that the whitewall width is a bit too wide for 34 and up, but that's their trademark so to speak. The Firestones have an approximately correct whitewall width and an "of the era" tread design, but always look decidely undersize to me, though I haven't taken any measurements.

Radials are an extremely poor choice for these cars because of the wire wheel resistance to lateral stresses, though the Twelve rims with the doubled folded bead are stronger, and also have thread and nipple spokes instead of the shrunk-weld spokes of the Eight and Super Eight. (PS - the radial I was thinking of is sized for the Twelve wheel, 7:50 x 17, not the Eight or Super Eight. It's a Michelin, I believe a commercial truck tire, and costs with tube but without tax and shipping about $400 per tire.

I'd say if your car handles poorly, I'd strongly suggest to look someone other than tires for the answer but don't expect it to handle like a 2009 Lexus.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
I have no issue with the handling. They grip well and keep traction even under heavy braking.

The tracking/camber is set up perfectly with no uneven wear on the tyres.

Of the 6 tyres I bought, one has developed a bulge on the sidewall. It is not from kerbing and hitting something but the rubber has separated from the carcass creating a large bulge. There is no other damage to the tyre or rim.

Another tyre shows the black capping separating from the white wall along the seam, where they meet. It is possible to see the carcass underneath.

The third tyre, fitted to the rear axle, has developed a thin white line along the outside shoulder of the black capping. Once again there is no un-due wear or other problems with the tracking/camber on this wheel.

There is plenty of life left in the tyres, I fitted them last year.

It is not feasible to return the tyres for inspection as I imported them from the States, the shipping would be dearer than the tyres are worth!

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry to hear about it, how old are the tires? If they are relatively new and you've been keeping the right range of inflation pressures (about 34 or a bit more psi), then I'd contact the manufacturer or seller immediately and make a claim. I'd bet that the maker could identify someone in Ireland to assess the tire condition. Or at least they damn well should.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
The tyres were delivered to me new last March or thereabouts.

I always keep a check on the psi, around 38.

I will contact Lucas Tires to see what the story is, I have dealt with them before and they were good to deal with.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Pat,

If of any help to you I will share my experience with Lesters on my car.

My car came with a pair of Lesters on the rear, and original mold Firestones on the front. The car handled and steered well. What I noticed was the rear of the car wagged and seemed to catch and ride every groove in the road. After a while I had had enough. I bought two more matching firestones for the rear, and installed them. First thing I noticed was the Firestones were well made and had good heavy sidewalls. The Lesters did not have such great sidewalls. After installing, the car drives very nice. I realize a lot of people preach radials, but for reasons O_D mentioned, I would not recommend either. The difference in my testimony v. O_D's is likely our patchwork quilt roads here in Arizona. I am totally sold on the original mold Firestones and BF Goodrich's. I am not saying the Lesters wont work, nor am I saying the car is un-drivable, just that the Lesters seem lackluster in quality to other available choices. With that said, Have you checked Coker tires? They offer an excellent selection. Hopefully they have the size you need.

Jim

Posted on: 2009/2/18 21:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hopefully they have the size you need.

I believe I listed all the possibilities for the 7:00x17 - 6 ply rated tires.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
One issue with the Befords...I bought 19" ones for my 32, they were oversized a bit and made fitting them into the sidemount areas very difficult. They do look great.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 20:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved