Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

drock87, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

38 Packard Six engine ticking
Just popping in
Just popping in

CrookedWrenches
See User information
Hello all!

Last week I bought a 38 Packard Six.
Upon arrival yesterday I noticed that the engine has a ticking sound. It idles bad but the sound is not present, only at higher rpm. It drives pretty good with plenty of power.
The car mostly sat for the past two years, driven very rarely.
I am very new to pre war cars and flatheads, basically zero experience. I would love your guys input on this problem.

Here is a video with the sound present :

https://youtu.be/ASr6TnhsngQ?si=KbwufrwUV2P6xd9P

Many greetings.

Posted on: Today 5:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 38 Packard Six engine ticking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It's hard to discern engine sounds from a video, but here are two common things to look for.

Failing manifold gaskets will often make a very sharp sound under load as exhaust gas shoots out past them, and if there are leaks on the intake ports the idle will be very poor.

Noticeable ticking at idle means the valves need adjusting. I suggest you test the manifold vacuum and report back.

These are very simple engines and their problems are usually also simple.

Posted on: Today 6:15
 Top  Print   

Re: 38 Packard Six engine ticking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
You can check for a manifold leak easily with a spray bottle filled with water and some dish soap. Just spray it on the gasket area and look for:
On the intake it will be sucked in and result in a dry spot at the gasket area.
On the exhaust there will be bubbles caused by the escaping exhaust. (Don't forget to shoot some around the joint the exhaust pipe meets the exhaust manifold too.)
Not a bad idea to also check around the carb's base too, again it will result in a dry spot on that as the liquid will be sucked into the area the gasket is failing.
This will also show up any cracks in the castings too.
If there are no leaks the solution you have sprayed will only act as a mild cleaner!
Have fun.
Bob J.

Posted on: Today 9:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved