Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
271 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 269

kunzea, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

36 Packard 120 Battery Retainer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
I need a new battery retainer for my 36 120. I found one on Max Merrit but it looks different than the badly rusted one I am replacing. Is it correct or just a generic one? Where can I find a correct one?? Anthing special about the bolts that go on the the battery carrier to secure it to 'itself' (the metal folds over the metal cross bars and then the bolts secure the 'folded' metal.) I cut the old ones off as they were pretty bad and two seemed to be brass... ?? Should I just go stainless??

Thanks!!

Attach file:

jpg  (15.87 KB)
1980_4aee52ee9f92e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/1 22:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 36 Packard 120 Battery Retainer
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This looks like a battery hold down bracket than can be fit to different sized batteries. The loops for the hold down bolts look, to me, to be incorrect in that they are facing in toward the battery instead of outward facing. You can probably find a universal bracket and bolts at your local parts store, and adapt them to fit. That is what I did for my 1937 Six.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 9:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Well I did a bit of sanding on my battery 'box' and I was a bit surprised to find out that it is made of brass! Is that oem??

Posted on: 2009/11/3 23:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
So.... anything special about the bolts to secure the battery box to the supports? Is my brass battery box oem??

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/11/5 7:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is my brass battery box oem??

No, sounds like a home workshop job.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Here are some pics...

Attach file:

jpg  (112.59 KB)
1980_4af38f8052efa.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (88.46 KB)
1980_4af38f92a7c78.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/11/5 21:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
So I ordered a battery retainer from Packards-Today.com.

http://www.packards-today.com/catalog.php?CID=2

It is a nice heavy gague steel piece. I 'painted' it with a spray on rubber coating. It was a tight fit to get it on. It is narrower than the bolts sticking up to fit it onto. A bit of spreading got it on there!!!

So I got the battery attached and went to turn the key to fire up the car and...... nothing!

Hummm.... the battery is all charged up so I think that when I did a bit of paint-work on the battery area the spot where the battery cable attaches to the frame got covered in paint.....

Later this week..... back under the car to remove the battery cable and do some sanding....

Posted on: 2009/12/16 14:51
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
I would like to keep a Battery Tender on my battery all of the time. I have the wires attached to the terminals of the battery.

Where do you guys run the wires for your Battery Tenders? There is no gap between the battery cover and the floor of the car. Any ideas??

Posted on: 2009/12/29 22:26
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Depending on where you've put your battery cut-off switch, the leads for the tender don't have to be on the battery. They can be under the hood on a good ground and on the lead hot cable where it emerges under the hood. Personally I don't use a battery tender, I just put on a trickle charger overnight once or twice during the winter. I've been getting about 6-7 years of service from the large NAPA #7210 commercial truck/bus batteries.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 22:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved