Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

Plugs1, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Jack for 1938 Model 1600/ 1601
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
I have two 1938 Packards. They are similar except one is a Six, the other is an Eight. I have bumper jack parts, but I don't know which style jack goes with the Six and which goes with the Eight. One set of parts is a scissors jack with a crank. The other set of parts looks like a small "farm jack", except that the handle doesn't quite fit into the slot where I think it should go.

I am asking which jack should go with which car, and why doesn't the handle fit. Thanks, Jim Mayfield.

Attach file:

doc Size: 780.50 KB; Hits: 48

Posted on: 2012/6/22 14:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Jack for 1938 Model 1600/ 1601
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to Reedy & Shaub's book on Packard jacks & tools, neither is correct for either of your cars. All 37-39 junior cars whether Six (110) or Eight (120) used the same jack and it was a screw/auger axle jack.

It was painted green with #316584 cast into it. Same jack was used for the 39-40 senior cars, and then issued as a late substitute in 1941 to replace the hub & rim jack originally issued for 1941.

Photo from Reedy & Shaub's copyrighted book with permission from the authors.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.33 KB)
177_4fe4f16901bbd.jpg 914X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/6/22 15:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
Thanks!

My small "farm jack" has "AUSCOLIFT, ST. JOSEPH MICH" cast into it. There are other numbers, like "8" and "3601", but these probably are related to casting and assembling the jack.

The scissors jack looks like it was originally painted Packard green or military olive drab. It's hard to tell.

- Jim Mayfield

Posted on: 2012/6/24 14:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad to have been of help. Reedy & Shaub's book on Packard jacks and tools doesn't seem to have found much of an audience but it's a nice asset and I do appreciate them granting me permission to post the occasional picture from the book.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 15:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved