Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

It's getting toasty in here! ('41 Packard 110 Heater stuck on)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
So it was suddenly 90 degrees in the Seattle area earlier this week and I noticed a good deal of heat in the footwell area of the '41 110 Coupe. The blower fan is inoperative and as most previous drives were in chilly weather, I hadn't really noticed the heat but it would be nice to be able to shut it off in the summer weather.

I noticed a valve towards the back right side of the engine block which appears to regulate flow of coolant into the cabin heater area but my attempts to turn it were in vain...it is seized totally rigid.

Is this the right place to shut off the heat and, if so, is there a trick to turning the seized valve without shearing it off?

Are you intended to open or close this valve prior to each drive depending on whether or not you think you will require cabin heat?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/7/4 13:00
 Top  Print   

Re: It's getting toasty in here! ('41 Packard 110 Heater stuck on)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thru 47 that was the only heater control valve other than closing the doors on the heater enclosure to keep air from circulating. I think the drill was open the valve in fall when it started getting cold and close it when spring came around and hope there were no ambiguous days.

If mine, I would not attempt to close it in place without keeping every finger crossed. You might be able to remove the valve and free it up in a more controlled and convenient place but if not, universal valves are available thru most parts stores and many vendors. Downside is new ones do not look the same. If the valve is same as other years, IIRC it is 3/8 pipe into the head and 5/8 hose outlet.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 13:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Yes you have to turn the valve before you leave or during your trip to adjust the temperature.
If you don't want to replace the valve, try taking it off and clean it and see if you can get it to work.
1 of my Packards didn't even have a valve, but yhe cowl vent gave enough cool air that it didn't matter much.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 13:16
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
These are simple water valves. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to drain the coolant and replace the valve. You may find you can clean up the old one and get it operating again. I would just go down to a good auto supply store (NAPA, O'Rilley's, etc.) and buy a new one. Generally they were turned on in the winter and turned off for the warmer seasons. I leave mine cracked just slightly to allow for some water flow through the heater core all the time. Most folks do not do this, it is a personal preference.

Just had a thought: Is there a lock nut on the stem of the valve? If so, loosen the lock nut and you may be able to turn the stem to close the valve.

Good luck and enjoy the holiday!

(o{}o)

Others beat me to the punch, and give good advice.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 13:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thank you for the replies! I will try removing the valve and cleaning it up or else replace with something similar.

So there is no fan to be turned on to blow the warm air through and out the heater enclosure? No wonder I said the blower was inoperative...I haven't been able to find one! There is a round knob labeled "Defog" that has a little orange light in it that comes on when I twist it but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is this related to the heater enclosure in some way?

Posted on: 2014/7/5 3:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be a fan if it was a Packard heater and the lighted bulb would tend to indicate there was. IIRC, the bulb is internally connected separate from the fan connection so it is possible the bulb could light even if fan was disconnected. There were different models of heater, defrosters, and combinations of the two.

Under seat heaters didn't have doors but were frequently sold with a separate defroster which did have a very small door on the side or bottom. Defrosters were a plain type box which predominately had tubes running upward to outlets below WS. The deluxe combination units had both tubes and doors with reversible fans or dual motors to take care of both functions.

Not sure if 41 had the fresh air option available but that was a long round duct in engine compt between grille area and firewall that would direct outside air thru firewall to rear of heater/defroster unit. If you have one of those and the duct door is not functioning that could deliver heat all the time with no fan running.

Need to know more about what is installed to offer much info on the air part.

Posted on: 2014/7/5 8:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved