Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 243

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Valve timing question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
Hello,

I am reassembling a Super 8 1933 engine. I am in the stages of setting the camshaft position in relation to the crankshaft.

The camshaft gear has two "O"s stamped on its face. There are no marks on the crankshaft but there are some on the harmonic balancer. There is also a sheet metal tab pointing at the damper when the timing case is closed.

I believe that I can set it by bringing #1 piston to TDC at the point where both #1 valves are closed and number 8 exhaust
valves would Just finish closing.

I do not understand however the purpose of the two "0" on the camshaft gear. There are no marks on the chain or the camshaft. Should there be one?

Thank you for any input

Super 8

Posted on: 2018/12/21 6:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Valve timing question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From the Specifications as given in the 1933 Packard Service Letters for the Super Eight:

"00's on crankshaft and camshaft sprockets should be nearest together and line up on each side of center".

How about a closer examination of the crankshaft gear?

Posted on: 2018/12/21 9:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Believe this gear can go on in both directions.
On backwards?

I'm WRONG !!!!!!
If i remember the '0' is inline with the keyway.

WHEN UR WRONG UR WRONG. Just went and looked at an Eight and there is a faint '0' 2 teeth clockwise from a puller hole which is clockwise from the keyway.
Twelve '0' is inline with the keyway.

Years back i did have a '34 engine that the '0' was very faint.

Posted on: 2018/12/21 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As I read it, two 00s on each gear. They should align such that a straight line between the 00s of each set also goes thru the shaft centers.

Posted on: 2018/12/21 10:52
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Super8
See User information
Thanks for the prompt replies. The car is in Europe and I will ask the mechanic to have a second look. I will let you know as as I find out.

Super 8

Posted on: 2018/12/21 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Not the best picture, but you can barely see the 0 and 0 on each tooth of the cam sprocket and the 0 on one tooth of the crank sprocket. The tooth on the crank sprocket with the 0 is lined up between the two 0's on thew cam sprocket.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.39 KB)
1584_5c1e498681419.jpg 960X540 px

Posted on: 2018/12/22 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Whats interesting is the (2) '0's on the Cam Gear are stamped and deep but the single/(1) '0' on the Crank Gear looks like it was done with an electric pencil. Guessing a factory mistake where they forgot prior to heat treat and thus could not stamp OR the stamping deformed the tooth.

Posted on: 2018/12/22 10:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's interesting Barry, and also interesting is that they marked the crank gear with a single "0", contrary to their statements in the specifications where they indicated that both gears had double "00" and the alignment line between shaft centers should go between the two 0s of each set.

Left click to enlarge image.

Attach file:

jpg  (158.55 KB)
177_5c1e637887856.jpg 1470X746 px

Posted on: 2018/12/22 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
O-D
Have a '35 Twelve in the shop and it also has (1) '0' on the crank gear. Not the first piece of PACKARD Lit that didnt agree with the world of iron.

Did a NON PACKARD engine years back and Cam Gear had been replace prior to me. Marking was way off. That gave me more gray hair. I always look and check now.

Posted on: 2018/12/22 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Same gears as previous photo, before the engine rebuild. This one clearly shows the double "O"'s on each sprocket. Also note "Front" stamped on cam sprocket.

Attach file:

jpg  (300.64 KB)
1584_5c2662cf4e84e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (364.09 KB)
1584_5c2662fb033df.jpg 1920X1424 px

Posted on: 2018/12/28 12:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved