Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd Series Tail Light Exploded View?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Todd W. White
See User information
Hello all!

I have a 1949 22nd Series with the flush, ribbed, tail lights with 2 bulbs. Is there anyone who knows how to locate or has an exploded view of this assembly?

All I can find is this one for the 23rd series. I would really like to see what I am getting into and how to properly work on mine before I open them up.

Example: 23rd Series Electrical Tail Light Section, Illustrated

Thanks!

Posted on: 6/19 17:07
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
1949 2262 DeLuxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd Series Tail Light Exploded View?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out a couple of pages earlier. Plate #77 in the parts book shows the 22nd series tail light housing. Note this illustration is for a car without factory turn signals. If your car has the turn signals the assembly lens and I think the chrome finish rim will be different but will go together the same way. There will be two bulb sockets and the metal housing will have a horizontal partition to separate the box into two bulb compartments. Because of the partition the bulbs will illuminate only the portion of lens designated for turn or tail lights.

Posted on: 6/19 17:53
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Todd W. White
See User information
I found that one, but isn't that for the parking light on the front?

Posted on: 6/19 17:59
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
1949 2262 DeLuxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Pretty simple.

Four 1/4" nuts on studs hold the tail light assembly to the body any the entire unit can be removed.

Then 2 slotted screws hold the rear housing to the bezel. The housing is usually marked to show the TOP side and there will be a rubber seal on the internal plate between the upper and lower compartments. The lip on this seal faces up.

The lens is retained by the large rubber gasket for the bezel.

Be carful when installing the bulb sockets in the housing as they only go in one way and it is easy to damage the small retains tabs on the socket. Should be obvious if you look at them closely.

The single filament signal light bulb goes in the upper mounting hole in the housing while the double filament stop and tail light bulb goes in the lower one.

Posted on: 6/19 18:01
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Todd W. White wrote:
I found that one, but isn't that for the parking light on the front?

You are correct. It is labeled parking light and I immediately jumped to it because while the shape of the metal housing may be a bit different the overall construction is so similar. The only other drawing of that specific style tail light I can think of is on a single page showing all the lights which is in the 42 Clipper book. That same style tail light carried thru the 22nd series with different patterns on the glass lens and chrome rim but the Clipper book doesn't have an exploded view.

Attach file:

jpg  lights.jpg (430.89 KB)
209_66736521e3c46.jpg 2342X1652 px

Posted on: 6/19 18:09
Howard
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved