Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 65

humanpotatohybrid, Stewart Ballard, Joe, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brake Job, 22nd-series
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Todd W. White
See User information
Hello all,

I just finished a brake job on my 1949 DeLuxe Eight Touring Sedan, #2262/Chassis #2211, and thought I'd give a report of my findings on part numbers and availability, seeing as how so many have expressed desire to find local parts sources for their brakes.

Wheel Cylinders:
NOTE: Raybestos was the only manufacturer I found that claimed to be manufacturing their products somewhere besides China (their website says so, and it was confirmed via email by one of their Customer Service people). Be advised that EVERYTHING that I got from them WAS FROM CHINA! They also told me, via e-mail, that the inlets on their wheel cylinders were 7/16-20, which was how they were on the originals when my Packard was new. WRONG. They have 3/16-24 inlets, which, as a result, require an adapter to make them fit the hoses they sent. They ARE, though, the correct bore, length, and mounting diameter. They do NOT come with new push rods (not sure what else to call them).

LEFT FRONT WHEEL CYLINDER -
Original Packard # = 302948
Original Wagner # = FD2754
Raybestos # = WC13368
Bore = 1-1/16" (1.063")

RIGHT FRONT WHEEL CYLINDER -
Original Packard # = 302949
Original Wagner # = FD2755
Raybestos # = WC13369
Bore = 1-1/16" (1.063")

LEFT REAR WHEEL CYLINDER -
Original Packard # = 302950
Original Wagner # = FD2863
Raybestos # = WC370192
Bore = 15/16"

RIGHT REAR WHEEL CYLINDER -
Original Packard # = 302950
Original Wagner # = FD2863
Raybestos # = WC370192
Bore = 15/16"

HOSES (3) required:
Original Packard # = 315829
Raybestos # = BH4497
NOTE: The front hoses will need adapters to attach them to the front wheel cylinder. The hose for the rear from Raybestos FITS the rear perfectly, with no need for an adapter.

SPRINGS:
Brake Return (Primary):
Original Packard # = 303837
Raybestos # = H122

Brake Return (Secondary):
Original Packard # = 303836
Raybestos # = H130

HARDWARE KIT (2) required:
Raybestos # = H4094
NOTE: The pins that they send are TOO LONG! The originals are 2-1/16" long, and the ones from Raybestos are 2-5/16" long. You will need to research where to get the right length and what the correct part number is. ALSO - don't forget to get a small tube of hi-temp "brake grease" for all of the locations where there will be friction.

WHEEL BEARINGS:
Front, Outer (x2)
Original Packard # = 3379474
Timken Cone/Cup # = 12580/12520

Front, Inner (x2)
Original Packard # = 348640
Timken Cone/Cup # = 14130/14276

SEALS:
Front (x2)
Original Packard # = 329536
Timken # = 5836
SKF # = 17145

Rear, Inner (x2)
Original Packard # = 384121
Timken/National # = 472843

Rear, Outer (x2)
Original Packard # = 384121
Timken/National # = 471192

REAR AXLE GASKET KIT:
Original Packard # = 379822
(I got mine from Max Merritt - call them for availability)

MASTER CYLINDER:
My Packard had it's brakes redone several years ago, and they put in a Max Merritt reproduction Master Cylinder. I rebuilt it with an AC/Delco Kit #18G1228. Kanter and Max Merritt both carry a nice aftermarket Master Cylinder, I'm told.

SHOES:
My shoes were all in excellent condition, as were the drums. If yours are not, there are several places you can send them to, but the man I was going to send them to, if they needed it, is in Texas. He re-lines them, then he arcs the shoes to match the drums, which, if needed, have been turned. His contact information is:

BRAKE & CLUTCH SUPPLY
15156 S IH-35 SERVICE RD
BRUCEVILLE, TX 76630
PHONE: (254) 752-4307

Concluding comment:

I hope this helps someone. I don't know what other models/years these parts fit, but I had to do a TON of digging on this site to ascertain what parts I needed, and then jump through a dozen hoops to find where the parts were available. Maybe the next time someone is looking to rebuild their 22-series brakes, this will be a benefit to them.

Posted on: Today 16:13
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
1949 2262 DeLuxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake Job, 22nd-series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...Impressive detective work...Thanks for posting...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: Today 16:22
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake Job, 22nd-series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That’s a very nice and concise list and thank you for posting it! Some of the Parts Cross-Reference entries on this site for brake parts, especially cylinders, seem odd but I would bet that it is a discrepancy of the particular supplier or manufacturer. For example, I bought cylinders for my 1954 Patrician where the list said they needed an adapter but they did not although the car did originally have a brass NPT to flare adapter that perhaps the original poster did not have to begin with so only thought they needed an adapter.

Posted on: Today 17:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved