Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I am Shocked!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
Yesterday I installed new shocks, front and rear, in my 1951 Patrician. What a difference in the ride. But here is my question. New shocks were installed in 2000, only 7,500 miles ago. Does father time wear out shocks? I thought it was the number of miles put on a car that wore out shocks, not how long they have been on the car.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 9:35
 Top  Print   

Re: I am Shocked!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed, I wouldn't have expected the passage of that amount of time to have a significant effect on the performance of airplane-type shocks. It might be expected on the knee-action type where you could loose fluid due to a tired seal.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another question might be if the bad shocks were correct and had the right amount of travel. I can see where one having too short a travel might be damaged quickly if it was repeatedly forced to the extreme.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 9:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Could be the rubber bushings at the ends of the shocks were hardened or cracked. But this should not be a big factor.

American OEM shocks typically last 20,000 to 25,000 miles. They may still be functional and not leaking but the creamy ride is gone by then. Maybe you got some cheap shocks.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 10:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
I think the shocks that I replaced were quality shocks. They were installed by a Packard mechanic friend of mine and I know he doesn't skimp on quality. Maybe it was just a case of a bad batch of shocks?

I guess another question is this. Do gas-filled shocks deteriorate faster than others?

Posted on: 2012/4/19 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Packick - what brand and model # did you buy? My 1951 probably could use some new ones; mine are about 12 years old and came from Pep Boys.

Posted on: 2012/4/27 21:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
David: I went out to the NAPA on-line site, typed in my make, model and year, and selected "shocks." The site lists only one option for front and one for rear for 1951 Packards. Those are what I got. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 18:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - I'll check that out.

Posted on: 2012/4/29 22:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved