Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear seal leaking on my 51 200 Deluxe
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
I'm having an issue with my 51 200 Deluxe. The rear main seal is bad and is getting oil onto the clutch. The clutch was slipping so bad I could barely get it into the driveway. I already have a rear main seal and oil pan gasket. To replace the seal the manual says you have to remove the tranny. We used to be able to replace the rope rear seal on other makes-the Big 3, with out removing the tranny. I have never tried this on a Packard. The other thing is I don't know if I could get the clutch cleaned up enough from the bottom by spraying brake cleaner. This worked on most cars except for some of the trucks. Any help or advice? Thanks, Tracy in Omaha,

Posted on: 6/8 9:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear seal leaking on my 51 200 Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
You can read how I replaced the rear Main seal on my 53 327. I used a new graphite rope type. Page 38-39 of my clipper Blog.
Mike's 53 clipper

It can be done, but it is tricky.

Posted on: 6/8 10:44
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also don't forget the end of the transmission input shaft rides in a bearing in the center of the crankshaft flange. When loosening things and messing with the seal, with the transmission still in position don't put a lot of stress at that point or you could wind up damaging the bearing or the input shaft.

Posted on: 6/8 11:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
Thanks Mike and Howard. Pretty much straight forward rope seal install. I have never done one is a car this old-mostly did 10-15 year old cars and trucks back in the day. I have some small long brass cleaning brushes that I may use to clean the top seal surface. I will let you know how it comes out. Very interesting blog Mike. Thank you. Tracy in Omaha.

Posted on: 6/8 17:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved