Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 79

happy, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

T/L limit switch question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Looking up at the T/L gear box from under the car, what color leads correspond with what location on the box? I am helping a local friend with his T/L and he took the switches out, I am re-doing them, but the manual does not reference which wire colors belong in what hole. They don't do much good if the positions are reversed.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 8:02
 Top  Print   

Re: T/L limit switch question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Today, I got all the T-L links hooked up on the Pat and made a new gasket for the T-L control box. I plugged all the wires into their proper coded terminals. An observation that I have not seen documented, but became important is where each limit switch goes. The switch with the orange/pink wires is installed on the DRIVERS side of the T-L gearbox.

Documented this on my 56 Patrician blog.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 9:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy, the "rebuilt" limit switches on the market are wired such that they can be installed in either position.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 9:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Concur with Randy. My orange/pink is on the drivers side.

Quote:
Randy, the "rebuilt" limit switches on the market are wired such that they can be installed in either position.

With "rebuilt" switches not specifically for either position, I can see where that might get interesting down the road. If installed, hopefully there is some way to differentiate for the next person working on the car. TL systems are mysterious enough for the average mechanic as it is.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 9:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
"Rebuilt" limit switch as supplied by the vendor except for the parts tag which is my own method of tagging parts. Harness is lengthened to fit either location and both leads are beige.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.43 KB)
177_502a69a3250ae.jpg 1280X822 px

Posted on: 2012/8/14 10:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Future post:

"I just bought a Packard and the leveler quit working. I was trying to figure out the wiring but there are 4 brown wires and I have no idea where they go. Can anyone help or tell me what I need to do next?"

I know a couple of the proper color wires are a bit hard to find at the regular stores but hope the vendor suggested marking them as the originals were or shipped strips of colored tape to wrap around the ends to avoid future confusion.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 10:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You would think putting color-coded shrink tubing would be an easy out. I guess if you are replacing the switch, you can do that yourself. I don't think I would install a switch without tape, tubing or some method of easy ID.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
FWIW-I replace them in the original colors, and prefer to do them in pairs for that reason. I now stock all of the colors used in the the pushbutton harnesses, since I am making that harness now, and it is the same gauge and colors as the T/L Limit switches. Randy--thank you, that was the nugget of information needed.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 14:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved