Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 127

Joe, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Disassembling Tail Light Bodies for Re-Chroming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Hi Gang. I'm in the process of sending out my Patrician's tail lamp bodies to get re-chromed and I've run into a bit of a snag in attampting to remove the reverse light fixture from the lamp body. I'm pretty confident that these fixtures can and should be removed for re-chroming, but they appear to be pretty snugly fit into the body. The part that has me stumped is the fact that there appears to be flanges on both sides of the body opening to keep the reverse light fixture firmly in place.

Before I do something really stupid and ruin either the reverse lamp fixture and/or the tail light body, I thought I would seek some sage advice from some of you V-8 owners who might have already accomplished this little task. I'm sure that this fixture is removable.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.83 KB)
3929_51a3846b2fa9a.jpg 956X1280 px

jpg  (79.20 KB)
3929_51a384852724c.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/5/27 11:08
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Re: Disassembling Tail Light Bodies for Re-Chroming
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the consensus from a discussion a year or two ago is that the reverse socket shell is crimped and best stays in the housing -- same with front parking lite.

You can remove the socket by using a small pick and screwdriver to carefully pry open the crimp to free it. I've done it but getting it off without damage and then to crimp back tightly and maintain a good ground connection is the challenge. Best way is just cut the wires in a way you can redo them again after plating & remove the guts from the socket. Leave just the shell in the assy. If needed, discuss with the plater whether the shell needs protecting and the best way to do it.

If careful in removal, most of the old items can be reused. New buttons, washers and springs are available for some sockets. You might measure your sizes and check the "Supplies", "washers buttons and springs" sections of RI Wiring'shttp://www.riwire.com/ website. They seem to have the best selection.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 12:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I made new gaskets from what is referred to as rainbow rubber which is used in making gaskets for pipes in water wells and perhaps other wells as well. It is close to the right thickness and the new holes can be put in with a punch.
The gasket I refer to is underneath the casting and is a dust seal to the bumper.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I know that Steele rubber has a kit for the gaskets & rubber.
http://www.steelerubber.com/search?make=packard&model=patrician&page=2#taillight-gasket-kit-70-1513-15

Here is picture of the socket-less taillight. I did not take it out.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.77 KB)
1220_51a3ae7c8f0bb.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (60.81 KB)
1220_51a3aeb551d99.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (54.73 KB)
1220_51a3aec4d80c6.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/5/27 14:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved