Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Waking Sleeping Beauty
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi All,

We seem to be getting down to the final items which will alow me to finally really drive my '55 Patrician. In talking with my mechanic the other day, I asked him how the windshield wipers were working (I had a new unit from Max Merritt). He said pretty good for only getting manifold vacuum. I asked about the oil/vacuum pump and he replied it didn't have a vacuum component.
My question: when was the Olds Conversion discovered. I ask because my Packard hasn't been worked on since 1985 at the latest.
Thanks in advance,

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2012/5/3 15:42
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Waking Sleeping Beauty
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Olds conversion just a few years but the PI mod and similar by others of removing the vacuum pump and replacing with a heavy flat bottom plate, since at least the mid 70's. Maybe even earlier. It could also have had a Stude or Hash pump without the vacuum installed if a Packard pump was not handy.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 15:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you as always Howard.
That brings to mind something else that clinked down from the dusty attic of my brain - that the Hash used a double action fuel pump on the Packard engines they "imported from Detroit". Is that the case? And if so would a Hash fuel pump bolt onto the senior engine?

Posted on: 2012/5/3 17:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is that the case? And if so would a Hash fuel pump bolt onto the senior engine?

Apologies for jumping in on HH, but YES and YES.

Photo by Dwight Heinmuller.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.51 KB)
177_4fa3052064406.jpg 840X828 px

Posted on: 2012/5/3 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Owen!!! That is the direction I will go. Fortunately, Oregon is just beginning to enter what passes for the "dry season". That will give me time to recover financially (I hope) from the bill that's coming due.

I wonder why Packard switched from years of double acting fuel pumps to the double acting oil pump. It seems to me another example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" being ignored to everyone's dismay.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 17:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Hash fuel pump will bolt on but probably easier to find would be a Ford pump. There is a thread from last year with a post & picture by Dwight Heinmuller showing his engine & a TBird pump installed. Don't remember which year but if someone remembers & finds the post, it might be mentioned.

Another poster gave a list of several Ford pumps which interchange with the stock Packard single action. Any dual action that would fit that same engine should work. If you like, will repost the list and picture of a pump that I have been considering. Maybe your mechanic might have a suggestion that would be close to the proper vacuum connection setup still keeping the balance valve.

EDIT: That's the photo but don't know which pump that is. Think Dwight said TBird in another post. It has the hard connections and the one I found uses hoses.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 17:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Howard, I completely forgot about the balance valve issue.
I would be VERY interested in the setup you are considering. It really won't be a serious issue until October Monsoons though even then, I don't see me taking that car out in a rain storm. Being caught in a rain storm is another very real possibility after October.
Thanks to both you and Owen and anyone else that has a solution.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The balance valve could be removed and plumbing done as the older models were with the pump in series. Was wanting to avoid that much rerouting and also disturbing the washer vacuum source which is on balance valve. Again not a big issue either way. A tee for washer should work just as well.

If I did it, was going to install a pump and use the vacuum side by either extending the tube on side of engine past oil pump source or removing that tube entirely and running new. The old vacuum check valve should not be required but wouldn't hurt to leave it. Would just leave the exhaust side of pump open to air instead of running to carb.

Here is the list someone made of single action pumps that are supposed to be compatible with the arm and mounting of ours. The dual I was looking at looks similar in arm but has the vacuum ports in a different orientation than I want. Would prefer the type Dwight has but hadn't identified it before moving on to another project. Any dual action pump that fits any of those engine blocks should fit ours.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.10 KB)
209_4fa315c3151a2.jpg 423X612 px

jpg  (31.19 KB)
209_4fa315e49de88.jpg 514X548 px

Posted on: 2012/5/3 18:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wonder why Packard switched from years of double acting fuel pumps to the double acting oil pump.

I suspect they were influenced by Cadillac and Buick's decision to go that route. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the pumps for GM and Packard were made by the same supplier.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 19:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Howard & Owen; my thanks to you both.
I'm thinking of making a plaque crediting all who have made this car's awakening possible. If I do, your names will be at the top of the list of special mentions as well as this club.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2012/5/3 21:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved