Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
254 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 253

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front seat sliding assembly Packard Caribbean 55
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
I need some help on how the slide assembly is taken apart on the front seat of the Caribbean 1955. There are 2 pairs of steel balls, (like ball bearing balls) that make is slide horizontal back and forth. I suspect there is a stop somewhere that prevents it from sliding all the way out.
Anyone knows how to take that apart.
I have the seats out and the actuator motors removed as well as the worm attachment that pushes the seat back and forth.
Thanks, Walter

Posted on: 2012/12/27 22:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Front seat sliding assembly Packard Caribbean 55
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I was hoping someone would have done this recently and popped in. It's been a long time and I can't remember if there were any gotchas. If you try what I describe, please be gentle and look for anything I forgot. If something doesn't move, STOP and re-evaluate!!

Anyway, as I recall the track consists of 3 major parts -- the base which mounts to floor, the slide which mounts to seat and a stamped inner strip section which is somewhat free and acts as a cage for steel balls. It slides a small amount as the balls roll and keeps the balls in place as the seat moves. What I remember is using a long punch and tapping that inner section toward one end or the other until the balls were exposed and could be removed. I think it takes a bit of working the sliding upper track in conjunction. What I don't remember is how many balls per side or if the inner section is one U shaped piece or a piece for each side. I vaguely think a ball or two has to come out each end but won't swear to it.

At any rate, once the balls are removed the inner piece is free and without the balls in their respective grooves, the tracks can be separated. Reinstallation works the same and as the balls are inserted the inner piece is tapped into the middle of travel again so the seat movement won't expose either end to allow the balls to fall out.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
Thank you for your help. I got it apart and cleaned.
One question remains, I read somewhere that there is a problem with the motors that might damage the assembly as there is no "kill switch" I have noticed that on my assembly it was somewhat bent and also needed a little welding due to some cracks. I wonder if that happen due to too much torque. Also which of the 2 motors do create that problem?

Posted on: 2013/1/19 10:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Neither motor has limit switches and turn at full strength until the worm reaches the end of it's travel. At that point parts just slam into each other so both horizontal and vertical actuators are vulnerable. My problem experience was with the horizontal movement. The vertical moves in a shorter more rotary range so doesn't seem to be as badly affected.

On mine, as the seat went back and reached the end of travel the joint where the worm was welded to the actuator shaft was forced into the outer housing and got stuck. Had to remove the entire assy and using quite a bit of force, turn the screw and outer tube manually to release it. I added a limit switch at the front activated by the tube end so that problem wouldn't happen again. Seat going forward doesn't seem to be as big an issue because there is nothing to get stuck at the rear -- just the strain on the mount is the issue.

The front horizontal mount is very vulnerable to the cracking or breaking (on my seat at least). It is only welded at the top and with the actuator mounted 4 inches or so lower at the bottom, it can flex when either the driver or motor puts strain against it.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 11:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved