Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 58

Tobs, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine detailing questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'm currently looking at a man who wants to detail my engine.

Part of the deal is that I buy the paint.

Valve covers: Is spray engine enamel ok? Primer? Preferred brands?

Block, heads, etc: Would you spray or brush? Seems to me that spray would be more trouble that brushing in terms of overspray, but I'm not doing it. Do you prime this stuff? Brands? Parts store? Olds bronze?

Posted on: 2013/2/27 17:24
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine detailing questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Kanter, Bill Hirsch or Terrill Machine has the green (50 and back) or gray paint (51-54). I think they also have the bronze for the 54 big engine, but never needed to check since all of my Packards have been the junior series. Eastwood has the paint for the manifolds, carbs, fan blades, generator, etc. I like to brush on the block and manifolds and spray the accessories. Some of the guys who are up to speed on the correct shades and finish (flat, satin, gloss) can help out. I like satin on the chassis and gloss on the accessories, but this is my personal preference.

I have not found the correct engine colors in the parts stores.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 17:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hirsch and Kanter also have the 56 bronze which I think is the same as the 54 bronze. Not sure if the valve covers should be a bright silver or a slightly more sedate dull aluminum color with the red lettering. IMO, you would want to remove and spray the covers and do the lettering. There is another recent thread on how lettering has been done decently. Probably brushing would be adequate and easier to do on the engine.

Here is a photo of a supposedly low mileage original 56 engine so you or your detailer can be the judge on the cover color.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.26 KB)
209_512e8e222d032.jpg 1085X806 px

Posted on: 2013/2/27 17:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My engine doesn't have much paint left.

Hirsch does not list the bronze. As to Kanter, my hat is off to anyone who can glean any useful information from their site.

Locally, olds bronze is an option. understand that I have little to guide me other than words....broze could be anything....

Silver is readily available, ditto a number of reds. HMNNNNN....

Posted on: 2013/3/2 15:12
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hirsch does not list the bronze

I bought my 56 Packard bronze engine paint from Hirsch. He may or may not list it, but he has it. Try the phone.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 15:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like Hirsch & Kanter only list the bronze in quarts now. Green is only one listed in both spray and quarts. You have to select the color in the drop down "options" menu. If the local Olds gold or bronze isn't quite right, there is the option of ordering a quart of the proper stuff and have some of it put in spray cans at your local paint store. Most better paint stores will do that for a fee.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART&variation=PAC%20BRNZ

Posted on: 2013/3/2 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved