Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
266 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 265

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ex-Packard poet Phillip Levine died
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
While poetry is seldom discussed in this forum, I'd like to note that 88 year old Phillip Levine died over the weekend.

Born in Detroit, he worked at the EGB Packard plant, and later at Cadillac where his experiences help shape his award (Pulitzer, National Literary, etc) winning poems that reflected post-war workers and the lives they led. Today's New York Times contains an observation of his that compares a '37 Packard grille to that of a Rolls (we're all human, no matter how much a guy makes...a matter of perceived degrees, at most). The realities of the assembly line worker's existence is contained in the ways he put thoughts and words together.

If you're not familiar with his work, I'd suggest looking at it. You may discover some of the talent that was hidden in many of the workers who made do by crafting the Detroit cars that we still love, to support other quests. There are some real gems hidden in the gravel of that history. There is a Detroit realness in Levine's poetry that strongly reminds me of another recently departed literary talent, Elmore Leonard.

Posted on: 2015/2/16 9:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Ex-Packard poet Phillip Levine died
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the news, I just Googled Levine and see he was Poet Laureate of the US in 2011-2012. I'll read some of his work later, too DAMN cold to leave the house today.

Posted on: 2015/2/16 9:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Ex-Packard poet Phillip Levine died
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Here is the link to a Detroit Free Press video by Brian Kaufman, the producer of the Packard Plant "Last Shift" video. Down below on that same page is an intro of the movie with a voice over by Philip.

http://www.freep.com/videos/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/02/15/23457881/

Brian told me that when he first showed Philip a copy of the poem Philip at first did not recognize it s one of his poems. And then Brian told him he wrote it several decades prior and then Philip looked at it again and the memories started to come back. That is when Brian started running the video tape and got the reaction you see.

I had the good fortune to speak briefly with Philip in order to get his permission to reprint the poem for the 2013 PAC National Meet booklet.

Posted on: 2015/2/16 10:53
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved