Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 178

Jimmyk, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Type of brake fluid, 55 Patrician
Just popping in
Just popping in

BlakeInAlabama
See User information
I am about to fill up the car with brake fluid. Does anyone recommend a certain type, or just standard?

Posted on: 2015/9/12 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Type of brake fluid, 55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Better first determine is some prior owner might have converted to silicone (DOT 5) fluid as it's incompatible with conventional fluids and you CAN NOT co-mix them. If not, you can use DOT 3 or DOT 4. Usually easy to tell the differences, silicone is essentially odorless, conventional fluid has a relatively strong and characteristic odor. You cannot convert from one type to the other without a thorough flush and replacing all the rubber components, hoses, wheel and master cylinder cups, etc.

But I'd strongly recommend that rather than top it off, you drain as much of the old fluid as possible and refill with fresh fluid, and then bleed the brakes to get as much as possible of the old fluid out of the system.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 10:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved