Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 199

53 Cavalier, LLT, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Low Oil Pressure Alarm Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Hello all,

I know some time back someone had the idea of a basic circuit that would warn of low oil pressure. Basically an "idiot light" for cars not so equipped. Could also easily add some sort of buzzer in case the light is not obvious in daylight.

I think I can throw something together that would work pretty well on nearly any car. The idea would be to have something that goes off when you have low oil, low fuel, or high coolant temp. And an array of switches and adjustment knobs on the circuit so you can customize what exactly happens. It would attach to the oil sender terminal on the oil gauge; likewise for the others.

I would ballpark an MSRP of only $29.99 for this device. A lot cheaper than a new engine part or a ride on the tow truck. Let me know if you are interested.

Also, if you have info on the sender ranges I would appreciate it. As far as I'm aware, pretty much everything is in the 10 ohm (high gauge) to 80 ohm (low gauge) range, except the "square wave" senders, which are a different beast, but could probably be accommodated with an accessory RC circuit.

Posted on: 5/2 15:47
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Low Oil Pressure Alarm Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1965 Imperial with a full gauge array has a Check Gauges light which I always thought was a nice feature as it drew my attention to a problem (especially being low on fuel) if I wasn’t paying attention. I don‘t drive my Packards so don’t need one for those (and if I did it would have to be for the 6v cars) but I do have a thought. How about repurposing the high bean indicator with a two-color LED that would act normally for the high beam but flash in a different color for the alert?

Posted on: 5/2 17:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Low Oil Pressure Alarm Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
It could be done but the high beam wire would be awkward to connect to anything since it's a socket and not a screw termination. Would need to run a wire from the foot switch in place of the normal wire.

Posted on: 5/2 18:10
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved