Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How does a touring sedan differ from a sedan?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Was there an actual difference in sedan bodies early on (built in trunk vs. no trunk, e.g.)?

Is the term "touring sedan" significant when describing a 50's Packard sedan, for example? Or just a designation of a particular trim level?

Posted on: 2012/8/14 12:14
 Top  Print   

Re: How does a touring sedan differ from a sedan?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
In fifties cars it generally means a four door sedan. Conversely, a club sedan was a two door sedan (but not a hardtop).

Occasionally there were formal sedans at the top of the line level. Don't know what the difference was when they had the stock wheelbase.

The Packard Club has a model listing by year athttp://www.packardclub.org/

Posted on: 2012/8/14 13:22
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is the term "touring sedan" significant when describing a 50's Packard sedan, for example? Or just a designation of a particular trim level?

Just a sales moniker trying to glorify the rather mundane work "sedan". In the postwar era it's only purpose was to distinguish a 4-door sedan from a club sedan or (in those years offered) a formal sedan. It doesn't distinguish trim levels either, they're identified by the model name, i.e. Eight, Eight DeLuxe, Super Eight, Super DeLuxe, & Custom.

Prewar gets a bit more complicated as there all manner of 4-door body styles. For example in 1934 the volume sedan was described as a "sedan for 5 passengers", or "for 5-7 passengers". Also there were club sedans, formal sedans, and of course convertible sedans and a variety of other 4-door closed cars in the custom body grouping. In 1934 and back "Touring" without the word sedan referred to a 4-door open car somewhat resembling a phaeton. To my recollection the word as applied to a sedan never designated whether or not it had a built-in trunk.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Okay, I'll jump in, but only in the shallow part.

The 1935 through 1937 120s and the 115C differentiated Touring Sedan and Sedan by slightly different body styles.

They were both 4-door body types. The Touring Sedans had a bumped out trunk and the Sedans had a flat back styling. Both had trunks built into the body, but the Touring Sedan's was larger. The Club Sedans also had the bumped out trunk. I believe the 120 Touring Sedans could also be ordered with the side mount spare tire equipment, but this option was not available in the Sedan model. Side mounts were not available to the 115C because of the shorter front end.

I believe this all changed with the new all-steel bodies for the Junior cars in 1938.

Be gentle, please...

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/14 14:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
OK, I'm jumping into the deep end after following the link to the Packard club site...

For 1938, we show 1182 & 1184 touring sedans, 2-DOOR and 4-door in the Six.

THEN there's the touring sedan 1191 (148"WB) and 1192 (4-door on the 134" WB), and 1194 (2-door on the same WB) in the Eight series.

AND last, but not least, there's the Super Eight 1114 and 1113 4-door sedans and 1103....whew!

For 1955 there are Deluxe, Super, Custom 4-door sedans, no "touring sedan" listed...

Then the Patrician, also not listed as a "touring sedan", either.

I looked up those 2 years because they were cited in responses to my post.

IMHO, I think at this stage of the game, it really IS a fancy name for a plain ol' sedan...

And then for 1956, the name "touring sedan" comes back. A desperate Nance marketing trick??

Posted on: 2012/8/14 15:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved