Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

PRIME FUEL LINE??
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I am getting ready to install a new fuel line from the tank to the pump. My thoughts were should I prime that length of line to allow the pump to not suck so much are and not to crank the engine so long?

Posted on: 2012/9/1 10:39
 Top  Print   

Re: PRIME FUEL LINE??
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
WILLIS, The new fuel line will probably self-prime if you have any amount of gasoline in the tank. The fuel line connection to the pump on the engine is lower than the bottom of the tank. Be careful with spilling gas!

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/1 10:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I would be interested in knowing more about your new fuel line.

I was going to work one up using the new specialized materials and figured I needed at least one splice.

I assume one would use the flare nut at the tank and there is the question of the degrees of the flare at both the tank and the flex hose for the fuel pump.

I have a 54 Cavalier with a low pressure (5 PSI) electric pump and fuel filter located on the frame near the driver door. Several rubber hoses. I believe there is a chunk of rubber hose over the rear axel area.

I don't like rubber hoses.

I currently don't leak any fuel.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/9/5 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
The copper nickle tubing is much easier to work with than steel. Available at NAPA but expensive. I have investigated using rubber or steel braided rubber tubing for the tight spot around the engine on my Clipper. I plan on using the double flare on all my connections. I have a buddy who does this all the time so I won't need to learn the process. I worked in an industry that used a lot of hazardous gases and we used Swagelock compression fittings everywhere. If I still had access to a couple of those I would probably not use the double flare. I will have some rubber between the fuel pump and hard gas line and from some between the fuel pump and carb so I can add an inline fuel filter.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 19:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Our local NAPA does not carry the cupro-nickel line in any size. Advance Auto does carry it.
So does
http://ribetautoparts.com/brake-line.aspx

Posted on: 2012/9/5 21:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved