Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
285 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 283

Tobs, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

suspension issue
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WhiskeyMoe
See User information
My 48 Packard is leaning/tilting on the front passenger side. What could be causing this? My lever action shock? My spring coil? I have a jack underneath the passenger side leveling the car out for now. At a loss. Please help anyone.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.22 KB)
4542_51f1d6a0261a2.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/7/25 20:55
 Top  Print   

Re: suspension issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The shocks don't help hold the car up, so it must be a broken spring.

Back in the day customizers would lower a car by heating a coil or two on the front spring with a torch until it collapsed. That may be the root of your problem as the bathtubs were not so prone to sagging on their own.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 6:59
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WhiskeyMoe
See User information
The person I bought the car from many years ago told me that he cut off 2 coils instead of heating them up. Could the front end bushings be the culprit as well?

Thanks for the help, I'm going to replace the coil and see if that does the trick.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 9:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You did say "coil", singular. Hard to understand why some prior owner would cut just one coil, but you should plan on replacing BOTH front coils as even if the other one wasn't cut, chances of an even front end just replacing one is slim.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 10:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

WhiskeyMoe
See User information
Yes I did say singular but he did cut both to give it that lowered stance. I was planning on replacing both. Thanks for help gentleman

Posted on: 2013/7/26 12:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved