Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Broken spokes on wire wheel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I'm looking at a circa 1930 wire wheel for possible purchase that has a number of spokes missing in the same area. I assume they were broken. The wheel also has a small dent in the rim. These were spokes that attached to the hub on the inboard side of the wheel.

How do spokes typically get broken on wire wheels? I've heard of people having a flat, then driving to the nearest safe location, messing up the rim. Would that treatment also break spokes. I worry the wheel is out of round, but can't do precise measurement as it's long distance and I have only some photos. I've also read that damaged wire wheels can be dangerous. Any info appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/9/5 15:46
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Broken spokes on wire wheel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tell us more about the wheel; diameter, # of spokes, shrunken or threaded spokes, bolt circle, # of lugs, etc.

Posted on: 2017/9/5 17:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Broken spokes on wire wheel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
20 inch rim. 80 spokes (less about 10). 8x8 bolt pattern. I think shrunken, but not sure. Photo attached.

Attach file:

png  (279.65 KB)
156395_59af36016e458.png 412X385 px

Posted on: 2017/9/5 18:40
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved