Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 127

chocobo9x, Vanya1953, Ken_P, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Question about lug stud
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I recently purchased 5 Lug Studs(bolts) for my 1954 Clipper from RockAuto. The bolts are too large to fit my car. What are the correct threads for the 54 Clipper? or Where can I look them up?

Posted on: 2011/10/22 17:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Question about lug stud
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This appears to be another Packard and RockAuto gotcha. I find a spec listed for wheel nuts in the torque specs. Size is 9/16-18 and threaded length is about 1". The same size was used on all postwar cars and then seniors in 54 & 55-- part number 338811 which is probably why RockAuto say they fit.

The gotcha is some 54 Clippers and the 55 Clippers use part number 419493 and no size is given that I can easily find. The 56 appears to have a thread size of 1/2-20 (also not listed from what I see) and I would almost bet that will be the same size as yours-but I don't find anything in writing at the moment to verify.

If that is not the size your ordered, I would buy a regular 1/2-20 bolt or nut from hardware store and verify it fits your threads then order new lugs.

In case you missed the post, Kev gave a list of things he has found different in 54 Clippers than what you would expect to find. It apparently was a hybrid change over series and year and lots of things just do not directly cross models as one would expect from past practice.

Posted on: 2011/10/22 18:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Generally the best bet with fasteners is to order by thread size and not by application. Do you have thread-measuring equipment? If not, it's a very useful addition to the tool box.

Posted on: 2011/10/22 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I will check it out Sunday to verify the bolt thread. I looked this up on the cross referance list and the larger bolt is listed as the Raybestos 27809B which is the part they sent me that is too large. I will pick up a thread gauge also.

Posted on: 2011/10/22 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I found the wheel bolt at NAPA, it is a 1/2-20 by 1 inch long and the number is 641-1554

Posted on: 2011/10/23 13:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved