Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
276 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 275

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

transmission
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
I have a 46 Packard 8 cylinder. This car I acquired has been sitting for about 25 years.the transmission is standard. The problem is I can't get it in reverse. It sounds like it wants to go but won't. any ideas be greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2013/2/23 21:30
 Top  Print   

Re: transmission
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the shift lever appear to move normally to reverse position or doesn't seem to move all the way so trans never goes into reverse? Is all that normal but just no movement?

There have been reports of external linkage problems where loose, sticking or worn parts doesn't allow full travel of levers at transmission so gears won't mesh or will try to select two gears at once.

If lever movement seems normal, if it has the original R9 overdrive, interaction with trans could be preventing reverse movement. There is some internal linkage that might be sticking & preventing the trans lever from moving the reverse gear or there may be a mechanical or electrical problem in the OD which locks up the OD gears. Details of the interaction and operation of the overdrive and explanation of the OD reverse lockout problem are in Service Counselor Vol 21 #15.
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO15.pdf

Posted on: 2013/2/23 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Will it go into reverse with engine OFF??? Mite have to rock car back and forth a little bit while engine is off and trying to engage reverse.

Will it go into reverse with engine running?????

Posted on: 2013/2/23 21:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
it does not engage all the way when running and since I have never had a transmission with 3 on the tree im not sure it goes in when the car is off either.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 1:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
It seems like it goes about three quarters of the way and starts a kinda of whining slash grinding noise. And I'm not sure if it goes all the way in when the car is off because I've never had a transmission with three on the tree like this one.

Is the link you gave me for automatic transmission or standard transmission? Because I don't think my transmission has an overdrive.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 1:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The link is for the standard trans with overdrive but not applicable to your problem if you have no OD.

If there is no pull knob under the dash edge just to the right of steering column and no approx 5" square black relay box on drivers side of firewall with 6 wires connecting to it, then you do not have OD.

Since you hear a clashing noise, it is possible the clutch may be sticking so trans gears are still spinning when you try to shift. Linkage could be out of adjustment or loose so the reverse gear is not meshing. You will probably have to climb under and see what is happening.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 9:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Jengler:

Let's start with the easy stuff.

Open the hood and make sure the shift column is not stuck.

I have handled cars from storage where the linkage is seized.

You may have to take it apart and oil it or just soak it.

If there is a round knob next to the steering column make sure it is pulled out - that is the overdrive. It goes to a lever on the trans that is forward when disengaged.

Do not try to force anything because that can damage the unit.

When in neutral the two levers on the steering column should be parallel. If they are not then put them so using your hand.

Hope this helps,

Posted on: 2013/2/24 10:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
I am going to check that tomorrow thanks for the advice! One other thing what kind of transmission fluid does this take or should i use gear oil?

Posted on: 2013/2/24 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The correct oil is 140w mineral (non EP) which you can get through the Lubriplate Oil Company.

However, if the trans oil is in good condition I would not change it unless the transmission is damaged. If you do you may develop a performance problem.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 22:16
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
ok checked trans for knobs there isn't any pretty sure I dont't have OD. Can you give me any tips on adjusting the linkage?

Posted on: 2013/2/25 18:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved