Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 193

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Value of a 1956 executive sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Hello everyone I am looking at purchasing a second Packard and i am looking to see if anyone can help me out with a value of what should be the optimum purchase price should i decide to buy it. Below is the infor on it. I am still waiting on more pictures before i go to look at it it is near appleton WI.

1956 Packard Executive sedan. Mohave Tan and Dover White. 352 V8, Twin Ultramatic trans with push button shift. Believed to have less than 37000 original miles. This is one of only 1784 Executive sedans made. Asking $7,990.00

Attach file:

jpg  (38.81 KB)
4600_51dab437b382f.jpg 600X337 px

Posted on: 2013/7/8 7:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Value of a 1956 executive sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Important to know if interior is good original, condition of Ultramatic, condition of Torsion-Level if so equipped

Posted on: 2013/7/8 9:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I was told over the phone that the interior was good original with no rips. I will be sure to ask about ultramatic and if it has the torsion-level.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 9:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Andy -

The Executive is one of my favorite models of the 55th-56th Series - mainly because my dad, a mechanic, purchased a brand-new hardtop back in the Spring of '56.

Regardless of manufacturer, four-door sedans typically go for much less than two-door hardtop models - probably because a greater percentage were built, new, and greater percentage seem to have survived.

This car looks nice from the one pic, but keep in mind that beauty is only skin deep.

Based on recent discussions, it appears that the only 56 model that was built with conventional spring suspension was the Clipper Deluxe. Yet, I can tell you right now, from this one pic, that something is not quite right with the T-L suspension in this Exec. The bottom edge of the rear fender skirt should cross the wheel cover right about dead center, but it appears to be a few inches high on this car. Unless the car is equipped with a manual control override and the owner has purposely left the rear end up, then work is gonna be required. At the very least (but least likely) some sort of adjustment is required. Yet, don't let T-L problems discourage you, they can be fixed by any hobbyist willing to work with their own two hands (and a little help from the members of this site).

You need to inspect this car in person before talking money.

Bring mirrors and a strong light so you can look under the car. Make sure nothing is obviously bent in the linkage from the T-L compensator (motor) gearbox to the (short) auxiliary torsion bars.

Also, check for telltale signs of rust or substandard body repairs. Common areas include headlamp brows, bottom rear corner of front fenders, rocker panels (inner and outer, plus related supports and braces), quarter panel wheel openings (where they meet the wheelhouse tub), and the trough at the rear of the trunk floor (including the two, adjacent body mounts, there, from above and below).

In addition to overall condition (and cost of related repairs), the complement of options has an effect on price. For a list of available equipment, download and review the table I composed from available factory documentation:

1956 Build Sheet and Production Code Chart

The actual value of any car is a relative thing - the point at which a buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to part. There aren't a lot of public transactions to go by and condition varies widely. Published price guides, available online as well as in print are only a starting point. While the lousy state of the economy makes this a buyer's market, a seller usually has his mind made up and unless desperate, can be pretty firm on price for a good example.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 10:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
More info from the friend of the seller, He sold the car to the current seller 6 years ago and agreed to help him sell the car. it had a repaint and also a transmission rebuild at some point in the past he can get me dates they have all the paperwork from the work done. he is also going to be sending me pictures tomorrow.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 11:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
If the paint (=body work+paint) and chrome trim in the picture is accurate you could not buy that work for that much today, so in effect you would be getting the car for free, assuming that it runs halfway decent.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Nice looking Exec. I wouldn't mind having it myself given that everything checks out. But, I wouldn't pay $8K for a 4dr sedan. If it were a 2dr HT, maybe.

For point of reference, I paid $5,500 for my 55 Pat 14 years ago and prices have gone up/down since then, so the prices are probably about the same now as then. But even with the upgrades I've done to my Pat (front disc brakes, MPB dual master replacement for BTV, Olds HV oil pump conversion, modern stereo with sub-woofer, etc), I doubt I could get $8K for it, except on a very good day. If it were a 55 Chevy in the same condition with same mods, I could probably get 4+ times that. It's a Supply & demand thing, i.e., Chevies are in demand, Packards are not. Of course my 55 Pat is 4+ times the car than the corresponding Chevy ever thought about being.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/8 13:31
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I think $8000 is a bottom price if this car is as nice as it looks. Sitting high at the rear is probably just an adjustment that is very easy to perform or as stated, maybe the leveler switch was turned off while the car was sitting high.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 18:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Make sure you ask about the pushbutton unit being rebuilt and if there is a receipt. If not, that is at least $500.

Also I can see from the picture that the load leveler has problems.

Bring along a creeper and check the rockers and rear fenders for rust.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 18:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Thanks for all the info I was just rear ended every one is ok but i feel a brand new daily driver is going to have to come first dream of second packard is going on hold!

Posted on: 2013/7/8 19:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved