Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

29 Packard rebuildable front shock needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I have exhausted every lead in trying to find a rebildable front shock for my 29 packard 626 the shock must move the full stroke or it is probably not rebiuldable according to apple hydraulics if anyone can knows where I could get 1 please email amadura@windstream.net I will also include a picture. Thanks for any help Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (87.50 KB)
3379_4fd1b462929c1.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/6/8 3:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 29 Packard rebuildable front shock needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Tom, I don't know if the '29 is the same as the '30 but if it is you can contact Keith in Texas who is presently parting a burned up 726.

Here is his contact info:
kbarker300@earthlink.net

Posted on: 2012/6/12 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 29tons:

The arm only moves something over 45 degrees from center each way. The rather simple (and ineffective design) has a metal block pushing oil back and forth. As for rebuilding the unit it must be taken apart which is difficult given it is welded together so I'm not sure why they would say your case is not rebuildable given it has to be cut open, the bore remachined and oversized new parts installed.

I don't know how many shocks you have on hand, but perhaps asking Apple the correct method of disassembly from which you can cut the thing apart at your place and see what's going on. My guess is that the thing is full of dirt or the internal metal parts are broken.

In the old days, hacks used to try putting boiling STP, gear oil, and all sorts of stuff into those shocks to make them do something. What they didn't understand was that the unit only acts to dampen heavy spring oscillation and so can only be evaluated by removal and road testing. Believe me it is noticable when they are missing, but the ride is like a conventional solid axle truck with worn out shocks.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 17:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
thanks for the reply I will try to contact him but I think they are different. I was at henry Yenskas and went through everything and found 1 that was locked up. He dose not have alot any more I called about 20 places no luck. this was the only reply I got. I got new pins and bushings for the front end but found the eye on the back of the springs. had opened up and needed to get new springs. The bushing fell in the hole in the spring and had alot of movement.I just painted the the springs and shackles last week and started reassembley this week after work I got a used tie rod basted and painted that so its ready to go on

Posted on: 2012/6/15 3:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I wasn't happy with Apple Hydraulics with a job I sent them, and neither was a top-notch restorer I know. I prefer Five Points Classic Auto Shocks:
http://www.classicautoshocks.com/

Posted on: 2012/6/18 14:43
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 29:

The biggest risk with those shocks is that if they are full of dirt they can break the link arm mount at the frame. That is a real problem given the lubricator feeds those links.

If I was in your position I would consider making up a mounting system that can handle Houdailles. They may not have as much dampening as new originals, but will do better than worn out originals.

I have also seen 6th and 7th series cars with tube shock adapter plates. It may not be original, but you can always take out a picture of your original shocks and leave it on the running board to keep kibitzers away.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I checked into the 1930 shocks they where still avalable but they are not the same I think I am going to call apple hydr. and get my shock back and send it some where eles like the name mentioned thanks Tom

Posted on: 2012/6/19 3:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I have been told, and I think Tim alluded to this, after 1930 Packard recommended retrofitting 1930 and older Packards with the shocks used on the 1931 models. Five Points says the original shocks should work just fine when rebuilt properly.

One has to consider the type of use (abuse) shocks received back in the day vs the type of use they get today. Roads are so much better today that I tend to believe Five Points statement that you'll be fine with the correct shock.

The reason I don't care for the tube-shock install (we currently have them on the front of our 1930 Speedster) is that it really sticks out like a sore thumb. If you use the 1931 retrofit, it doesn't stick out so badly. I recently had an original set of 1930 shocks rebuilt by Five Points, which will soon be fitted to the Speedster.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 14:39
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If Packard was authorizing the Delco shocks for the 6th and 7th series they must have had some bulletin to take care of the lubricator. One of George's cars had Delcos and the lubircator wasn't working because the link mounts were leaking. So the whole front end was falling out of it.

I don't have a sixth series parts book, only a picture, and I wasn't aware that the 6th and 7th series units were not interchangible. That's a big problem then.

But if somebody can take those things apart and fix them - Hats Off!!

Posted on: 2012/6/19 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I got my shock back called classic and a1 explained the problem but they did not think they could fix it but thank you for the suggestions may be I will find 1 at hershy in the fall it will be here before you know it my brother says im not happy unless an old car is torchering me thanks Tom

Posted on: 2012/7/8 13:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved