Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 218

53 Cavalier, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Hard vs. soft engine blocks
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
Interesting topic which brings up a question I've often wondered about. Are there any documented high mileage Packards with S8's or V8's. (High mileage without a major engine overhaul - valve job not being considered major). Also are there any high mileage cars out there where engines have been rebuilt one or more times. Another question this brings up is diesel engines. Are they hard or soft. Seems many diesels are known for high mileage (Mercedes and Cummins to name two).

Posted on: 2013/4/16 7:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Hard vs. soft engine blocks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure what your definition of "high mileage" is and there should be a different definition for engines from the Babbitt bearing era.

My 54 Patrician went about 122,000 miles before I chose to rebuild it. It had not had a prior rebuild. Cylinder wall wear and taper was about 0.008 so I didn't bore it, pistons were knurled and re-ringed. Mains were replaced with std, rods with 0.001 undersize though if the engine were out of the car I probably would have had the crank turned. Timing chain was very sloppy and one cam lobe was wearing. It was still running well enough before but smoking a bit, and oil pressure at hot idle was marginal. I probably could have driven it considerably further but decided I wanted the experience of rebuilding it.

My 48 Custom 8 was also over 120,000 at the time I decided to rebuild it. It was running well enough but a bit of a smoker, and it too had not had a prior rebuild by all accounts. It likewise had minimal bore wear; I replaced the pistons with new (knurled) STD pistons and re-ringed plus new rod, main and cam bearings, rods straightened, etc. The major factor that lead to the rebuild was a dumb mistake; on removing the spark plugs I forgot to blow out the plug wells first and a small pebble fell into the cylinder which I couldn't remove despite trying every trick I could think of. So I (foolishly) started the engine hoping it would pass thru the exhaust valve but it didn't, it blew a hole in the top of the piston and blew the oil filler cap into the adjacent yard. But - it was rebuild time nonetheless. New bearings were replaced with Std butr again as with the 54, if I had done the engine rebuild with the engine out of the car I probably would have had the crank turned. Likewise as with the 54, if the engine were out of the car I would no doubt have rebored it, but these were the kinds of engine "rebuilds" we did as youngsters when funds were tight.

My 34 Eight made about 83,000 miles before it developed a light rod knock which turned out to be babbitt failure on one rod, and the others were likewise showing fatique. It required boring 0.030" oversize and the crank journals needed turning to 0.010" undersize.

My 56 Carib has about 98,000 miles, no engine work yet though 3 cylinders have somewhat lowered compression, about 110 psi which is probably more valves than rings as it uses no oil between changes. Oil pressure is still excellent, just above 40 psi at road speeds when hot, and about 20 psi at the filter inlet. All I've found that needed attention was the oil pump inlet screen which was pretty choked with sludge - original oil pump still in place.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved